Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interest on costs

Hi All,

In April the court awarded me costs that the judge "enforced as child support" I just received the order and FRO called me to say that I need to fill out a "Statement of Arrears" for them to be able to enforce the costs. Do I need to calculate interest on the costs? if yes what would it be the same 3% as is on the CS?
    Last edited by sahibjee; 08-27-2018, 12:16 PM. Reason: typo

Do I need to calculate interest on the costs? if yes what would it be the same 3% as is on the CS?
    If you want interest you need to calculate it. The interest rate should be one of the last three paragraphs of the Order, it is a set clause. Sometimes it appears as a stamp (because the court clerks add it if the parties did not).

Currently, post-judgment interest rate is 3% so if your order was made in April 2018 that should be applied to all amounts owing from the date of default.

Comment

Originally posted by youngdad91 View Post
      I would not pay them any interest. There can't be any delay on your end if it is being enforced by the FRO. It is their responsibility to collect it. If you were not cooperating with the FRO, then that would be a different situation. I cannot imagine it being reasonable to be charged interest for 6 months or however long it takes for the FRO to get their butts in gear.
      So the receiver should lose interest payments because FRO is slow? Ya, no. Not her/his fault. The payor needs to pay what’s owed retroactively with interested if court approved.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X