Matrimonial home and now nothing ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tilt View Post
    Janus, I agree about the matrimonial home. But the inherited land she sold and kept the profits is not the matrimonial home. There are two properties being discussed.
    Ah, missed that.

Inherited land that has been kept separate is not split at all. Thanks for the correction

Comment

Originally posted by Janus View Post
      Ah, missed that.

Inherited land that has been kept separate is not split at all. Thanks for the correction

But what if she sold it during the marriage? Is it not considered an asset?

Comment

Not if it was always kept separate. If she didn’t use joint funds to pay the property tax or maintenance, and always kept the deed title in her name it is excluded.

Comment

She never worked and he paid the bills including any property taxes on the inherited land that she has sold since .So yes he paid for things .

Comment

If she never worked then she had no access to money. Her not working is considered a joint decision since they didn’t seperate as soon as she was not working. So paying the property bills out of joint funds doesn’t automatically guarentee he is entitled to half, especially if she kept the deed in just her name.

I wouldn’t waste time pursuing the inherited land and instead focus on the solid case he has for an equal split of the matrimonial home.

Comment

He isn't looking to go after that , more like you said the matrimonial home as she thinks she can have it all . Hopefully they can settle it without big lawyer bills.

Comment

My husbands ex tried that “you get nothing” argument right up until she faced a judge who told her either she takes what my husband offered or judge would give him more. Her reasoning was he was at home throughout the marriage (Mr Mom) and didn’t contribute so everything was hers. It didn’t work for her and it won’t work for your friends ex!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X