This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matrimonial home, is this allowed?

Lets say I got married 3 years ago and my wife moved into my home in Toronto that was 100% paid off. 1 year ago we moved out of that home into a rental property in ottawa. Things are very rocky ,not a divorce yet but its pretty bad. Am I allowed to sell the original property without her consent since we moved into another property in Ottawa which then became the Matrimonial home.

I am not an expert....but, you need to get her consent if her name is on the deed. If not, then it should be treated as your property before marriage. However, she is entitled to any value increase in the home since marriage.

You will need to get a home appraisal now vs. at the time of marriage, because she is entitled to half of the difference.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by hotrod84 View Post
      Lets say I got married 3 years ago and my wife moved into my home in Toronto that was 100% paid off. 1 year ago we moved out of that home into a rental property in ottawa. Things are very rocky ,not a divorce yet but its pretty bad. Am I allowed to sell the original property without her consent since we moved into another property in Ottawa which then became the Matrimonial home.
      Probably not. It may not be the "matrimonial home" any more but it would form part of the matrimonial property, which she would be entitled to.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X