Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^agree with exception of SS which is more complicated, particularly for long term marriages. Your lawyer will go through this with you. You can also read up about it on the internet. Look under "without child" formulas. "Rule of 65" applies to you and keep in mind there is a compensatory portion to the formula. The more your ex is being an ass-hole the better off you will probably be in the end if you have a good lawyer. Judges generally don't mesh well with bullies (such as how you have described your husband).

Comment

Thanks Hammerdad. My income falls below the 40% net family income. The problem is that he keeps restructuring bills he claims to have incurred before separation such as having the drive way paved and a new air conditioner on the small house. He's also claiming that he's lost income due to separation and that he's paying taxes on both houses out of his pocket. Without mentioning that he's still getting rent for the house I'm in as there's renters in the basement. I'm paying the utilities there and was paying all the utilities at the matrimonial house - always.
      He's told my then lawyer that he took the money because it's his. He earned it. He's been sending me threatening emails telling me that the judge will rule in his favour because he can prove it's his money, etc. He's also resorted to character bashing and emphasis on that. He's claiming he will bring in people (his family members) to speak against me and he's tried to pull our son in to accuse me of abuse - now! He's 26 married and I've paid for his schooling, his first marriage arrangements and for all the furniture he's got as well as jewelry for his second marriage, etc.
      It's really messy because this is what my ex choose.
      I will look into Rule 65. No good lawyer available to me at this time. Sad that we even need to have a lawyer to enforce a law that's already in place.

Comment

If I can get a lawyer, file for divorce and have my ex served in 5 days then so can you. Go to your bank, explain your situation and get the retainer - even if you have to borrow it from a friend. You need a lawyer.

Change your email address immediately, but keep the abusive emails you received from your ex.

Really, really important you get a lawyer. 10,000.00 is a little excessive for a retainer. If you are in a large city you should have no problem finding someone who will take much less of a retainer. Lawyers usually look at the net worth of the couple and they know they are the 2nd in line to get paid their fees (behind spousal and child support) so this shouldn't be difficult.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X