This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA elections

I'm in this rather heated debate with a good friend of mine, she is a US citizen. She's a very good friend of mine, we met doing ivf, have been to Rome, New York, etc. together for vacations. I love her to death.

But we are completely on the opposite sides of the upcoming US election.

She doesn't seem to comprehend that in Canada higher income earners pay higher provincial/federal taxes than those who earn less, and that some of the higher earners are ok with that. I'm not sure she understands why I want to continue working and be taxed at a 50% rate.

I've tried to explain to her that, imo, living in a country that gives all of it's citizens (regardless of income) universal health care, and education, are worth the price of paying higher taxes to me. It's a way to ensure that our community stays healthy, and continues to grow. It takes a village, to raise a family.

And I also can't believe that Romney's team pulled the most ultraconservative running mate (Ryan) to go with. Ryan is pro-life, anti- gay/lesbian marriage, etc. If I was on Romney's team, I would have gone with a person known to be fiscally conservative, yet more liberal leaning in personal life choices.

Anyone else following the US election closely?
    Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Agree with you totally.

About the taxes, you might want to remind your friend that we don't get to write off mortgage interest on our annual income tax return like they do. That in itself makes a huge difference at tax time. In the US majority have no equity in their homes and have different mortgages so in some cases pretty much all of their mortgage payment is tax deductible. Must be nice eh? I'd probably keep a big mortgage as well....

Very disappointing about Romney's running mate.

Comment

Originally posted by mcdreamy View Post
      Anyone else following the US election closely?
      Yep, and thanks for the reminder that I need to get myself registered to vote. This is going to be a fun one!

Comment

mcdreamy;

Tell your friend that I have a condo in Florida to sell....

It's very nice, not underwater and I will not shortsell it.

All this stated with a microscopic touch of irony.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X