No announcement yet.

Single parent forced by seniority to work afh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good thinking. You could always fly them out for,the weekend to relieve the nanny and for R and R with yourself and the girls.

Comment

3 weeks isn't emergency care. You are going from their sole care giver to essentially a visitor. You are going to be home for 2 weeks out of 8 or 25% of the time. Certainly not fair to your children and what happens if you can't "figure things out"?

Comment

Originally posted by Rioe View Post
        Your family status (ie, parenting responsibilities) must be accommodated by your employer.

See: Discrimination on the Basis of Family Status

Ok, so maybe I can hand that to the union and the company, and tell them I am not going anywhere, please keep me working here if you can....I guess the union will argue that out with the company though....

Comment

In your shoes, I would have had my resume out and in action 6 weeks ago.

Originally posted by Beachnana View Post
          Take them with you and find another Nanny. They will have the benefit of you in their lives and get to live somewhere new. Unless of course you are going somewhere dangerous!
          ^^ terrible advice. Focus on maintaining the childrens' current patterns, which would include their school, neighbors and yes, the other parent. Children require both parents to be actively involved to the best of their abilities and honestly a job should never take priority over a parent.

Push back with your admin. Involve your union rep and ask that they step in on your behalf.
          Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

Originally posted by mcdreamy View Post
            In your shoes, I would have had my resume out and in action 6 weeks ago.

^^ terrible advice. Focus on maintaining the childrens' current patterns, which would include their school, neighbors and yes, the other parent. Children require both parents to be actively involved to the best of their abilities and honestly a job should never take priority over a parent.

Push back with your admin. Involve your union rep and ask that they step in on your behalf.
            I have been actively seeking a job, they are far and few right now, lots of layoffs around lately, hopefully it turns around soon.

Comment

I can understand your frustration as I have been through similar experiences. I also have sole custody an uninvolved ex and travel is reqired for my employment. I also work in a unionized environment so am familiar with seniority issues.

When my children were younger I would use a nanny and limit my trips away to as short a duration as possible. Now that they are older they are ca aple of caring for themselves.

If this was part of your union contract in my opinion it would not constitute a material change in circumstances.

As for the seniority issue you should have the option of bumping someone local with less seniority. If you are low man on the pole then your out of luck.

If you don't agree with your union stop paying your dues and apply your skills in the non union sector. If your any good at what you do it shouldn't be to hard.

Comment

I feel like there was a recent supreme court case on a similar issue.

But isn't moving for work part of life?

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
                  I feel like there was a recent supreme court case on a similar issue.

But isn't moving for work part of life?
                  I am not so sure, most people I know never move for work, unless they are upper management and signed up for that sort of stuff. I know a few rcmp officers that moved around a bit, not too much though. A bank manager down the street has moved a few times for his job. If everyone moved for work, there would be a lot more rich realestate agents and the government would be happier with all the extra property transfer taxes for sure! Not so good for kids learning to create long term relationships and settling in somewhere.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X