This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• children in courtroom is it proper?

I have to go to court and Everytime I go My ex brings our son into the court room. Our son is now 2 years old. I have asked her not to do this as I feel it is not proper. I think she does this to make me nervous as I am self represented. I find it distracting. Her lawyer has ignored my request. I know my son doesn't understand everything that is being said but I am sure he can sense something is wrong. What can I do to prevent this from happening again.

Any advice would be helpful

My opinion personally is that I don't think it is appropriate. You could bring a motion to have the children or child not to be present during the preceding.

You could cite that it may be disruptive to the proceeding and also I wouldn't think that it is in the child's best interest to be subject to discussions that pertain to mom and dad. These are adult discussions. This might look bad upon her for not arranging adequate child care.

In some US states I heard that they allow children in the family court rooms to testify and depose. I don't think it is the status quo here in Ont.

Comment

I was in court once and a woman had 2 children around 4 & 6 years of age with her. Judge would not start anyones including her case until the children were removed from the courtroom.

I'd bring someone with you, a trusted friend or family member and have them take care of your son outside the courtroom until your matter is dealt with.

Comment

I do not believe that the child should be in the courtroom. I too find it inappropriate and would see if the judge would rule that no children can be in the courtroom during proceedings.

Comment

totally inappropriate and you simply ask a judge for permission to not allow it...regardless of the state or province...most judges would not allow it but remember they are the boss and to ask for their permission in whatever process that is applicable.

Comment

I dont think it is right.
            I would not take young children into the court. They will have those memories with them forever, it is unhealthy.

Leave them with grandma, but dont take them to court..

Comment

Exactly, let grandma, grandpa spoil them rotting, for the day!!!

Leave the children out of the courtroom.

Comment

I agree, NO CHILDREN SHOULD BE ALLOWED IN THE COURTHOUSE let alone the Courtroom!!!! It is far too traumatizing for them, if discussions lead to heated arguments it is not fair that they are being put through this. I know most Judges do not like this, and usually do frown upon it. I am not sure if it is possible, but, if your spouse will not leave the child at home then ask the judge before proceeding if it would be ok to leave the child with the security officers outside the courtroom. I am not they can do that, but at least the child would be safe and out of ear shoot to the proceedings. Other then that, talk to your ex again and explain to her why you do not want your child there and hopefully she will listen.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X