Layoffs and Child Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Layoffs and Child Support

Lots of government programs out there for those affected by this worldwide crisis and an unusual situation. I am an essential worker and my job has not been impacted but I risk my life in the front lines every day. Ex has been temporarily laid off. We exchange T4s every July, and I pay offset support every month ~$540 and have the children 50% of the time. Do you think they’ll be any reprieve on child support calculations next year? Ex’s earnings will be exceptionally lower and the offset for me will be dramatically higher. Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, I don't think there will be any reprieve or adjustment on child support. It will simply go off of everyone's NoA as usual. It just won't be a priority for the government. I hope this doesn't come off as blunt or mean, but that is just how it will be.

Comment

How long is "temporarily laid off" ? I guess that depends. Do you think his income will change that drastically still, if he gets the COVID-19 emergency funds, or gets on EI?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X