This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurting so bad

Hello everyone. Just joined because I need some help and/or support.
    I've been with my fiancee for 5 years now. We have a beautiful 18 month old baby girl.
    On Wednesday of last week, she informed me that she is leaving me. This has come as a shock. I can't believe this is happening. I don't know where to turn. I can't seem to catch my breath. I feel so very alone.

Remove emotions and get a lawyer. Listen to your lawyer.

Comment

Very very hard to remove emotions right now. We agreed that when it come to our daughter she will never ever stop me from seeing her. We don't own the house, so nothing to worry about there. Right now it's jsut the pain of what has come to an end.

Comment

And I'm really not here looking for legal advise...that can wait...I'm just so hurt, I don't know where to turn to and what to do...

Comment

I don't mean to sound cold and I do feel for you. My advice is what I wished I had done right away, before I let my emotions cloud me.

Comment

Originally posted by hurtinbad View Post
            We agreed that when it come to our daughter she will never ever stop me from seeing her.
            My ex and I agreed that we would have joint custody right up until she filed for sole custody.

Get everything in writing, and don't take any agreement for granted until you have a court order in hand. TRUST ME.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I will definately do that tonight when I get home!

Comment

One more thing - establish visitation immediately and stick to it. And keep a record of EVERYTHING. Especially any changes to the agreed upon schedule. Once you've established a 'status quo' she will have to prove it's not working to change it. You need to show that you can be just as good a primary caregiver as she is (sad but true). Take your little one to dr's appts, bath her, brush her teeth, read to her, put her to bed - all the normal stuff so you can show you're able to be a good caregiver.

Try to arrange to live close enough to one another that the distance will not be an issue for the court. The court does not like to award shared custody to young children when parents live far apart.

Lastly - don't forget to breathe. Always give yourself some time before acting so you know you aren't RE-acting.

Remember that it won't hurt for ever. Hang in there and take care of yourself and your little one. Good luck.

Comment

A claim for sole custody could be made on the basis that you two are unable to cooperate and communicate. Unfortunately it is possible that the person claiming sole custody is the one who is making it impossible to cooperate/communicate, and can make all sorts of unfounded claims of abuse, hatred of children - and in my experience the court doesn't really care about the fact that one side is fabricating problems.

So, my advice would be to do what ever you can to establish, show, record that you (both) ARE cooperating and communicating effectively.

Comment

Originally posted by hurtinbad View Post
                    Hello everyone. Just joined because I need some help and/or support.
                    I've been with my fiancee for 5 years now. We have a beautiful 18 month old baby girl.
                    On Wednesday of last week, she informed me that she is leaving me. This has come as a shock. I can't believe this is happening. I don't know where to turn. I can't seem to catch my breath. I feel so very alone.
                    You're not alone - most if not all of us here have been through that fire. We know the pain you speak of all too well.

1) see your doctor to get some medication to settle your emotions such as anti anxiety medication. You need to ease the pain and settle your confusion before proceeding,

2) see a family lawyer asap and get the facts about what happens next.

Comment

Has she moved out yet? Please make sure you have both agreed to a schedule of time with your daughter and both signed it BEFORE either of you leaves. Even writing it on a calendar and both signing if (as a schedule of time with your daughter) should be enough if that's all you can agree to.

Spend as much time with her as possible, be a great dad and take care of her.

And take care of yourself. Speak to a counsellor, you family doctor about what is happening and how you are feeling. There is nothing wrong with trying a depression medication to help you out. It will help you to keep your emotions under control so that you can deal with all the legal and details of separation that you MUST deal with NOW.

Many of us have probably avoided asking for help hoping that the problem will go away, but it won't. You've made a big step by posting on here. We do understand, we've all been in your shoes. Good luck.

Comment

Going through the same thing...

My husband left suddenly two weeks ago after 15 years together and 3 kids. I also feel like I'm on a roller coaster. One minute I'm feeling strong and the next I'm a basket case...I can physically feel the pain and it feels like I'll never pull through the other side (although I know that I will, and I'll come out stronger). It's just the hardest thing ever and I know exactly how you feel, we will get through it though..

Comment

As a woman that has seen her son go through this, i am telling you to grab hold of why you are called a man. Things can happen quickly and be prepared, don't lose your opportunity to have equal shared parenting. Get educated. Try to come to an agreement with her yourself. Courts don't care about you, and if she establishes sole custody, and you make more money than her, you will face financial ruin for many years to come plus she will have stolen more from her own daughter and you m(it is called your relationship and not getting to be very involved with your daughter. I feel sorry for men like you.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                          Working...
                          X