This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taxes - Deductions

Hopefully someone has an idea of the answer to this, so here goes.

Does anyone know if medical benefits that you pay through work for dental/medicines are tax deductible in some way?

For example: A person has $30 a week automatically deducted from their pay for benefit coverage, regardless of whether they are able to take advantage of the coverage that is offered if they have dental work done; is any of what is automatically taken from your pay just for having the plan deductible on your taxes, and if so, where?

Thanks!

You can claim private health insurance premiums as a medical expense, but the total amount of all your medical expenses is reduced by 3% of your income.

The claim is made at line 330 of Schedule 1 of your federal tax calculation, and it is also made at line 5868 of the ON428 schedule of your Ontario tax calculation.

Comment

My T4 does not list what I paid in to Manulife for the year; does this nix it being deductible?
      I know the total amount from my pay stubs of course, but only the basics are ever on my T4.

Comment

I think this is the same idea as me claiming my Blue Cross payments. You can call Manulife and ask for a statement of payments to be mailed to you. That gives you an official document in case you need it.

Comment

Is your Blue Cross something you by choice purchased, thus making it private which can be claimed? My Manulife is listed as 'group benefits' via my employer.

Last year I did not claim it either simply because it was never listed on my T4, nor was I ever sent any kind of statement of payments at year end.

Comment

It's up to you to calculate and report the claim. Use your last pay stub for the number and the proof if required.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X