Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Old 03-18-2020, 12:42 AM

sahibjee is on a distinguished road
Default Access exchanges during COVID-19

So due to the whole virus situation I am quite iffy about access exchanges. The court order is the usual EOW+W.
I have custody, I am planning on sending something like this, what do you think?

As you maybe aware that the province of Ontario has declared a health emergency due to COVID-19.

The health minister of Ontario has advised to practice social distancing and for people to remain at home to avoid
communal transmission of the virus, and as such I am going to be practicing social distancing and will reinforce the same for our son.

However, there remains the issue of access as per the court order. Our son going back and forth between the homes could become a potential carrier for the virus, to reduce that risk I am prepared to keep him at home during the emergency without access exchanges, OR you can choose to keep him at your place during the emergency which could last a month or two. In that case I would be forfeiting that my access time for everyone's safety.

If you want to keep him for access uninterrupted during the Ontario health emergency (or until when the schools open whichever comes later) then let me know by 1 PM Wednesday March 18th.

If you do not reply by that time I'll be forced to consider that you are electing to forfeit your access during the emergency (or until when the schools open whichever comes later).

Old 03-18-2020, 07:08 AM

rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough

Does your ex have the illness? Then don’t block access.

This is a terrible idea.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:23 AM

Helpmyspouse is on a distinguished road

I agree with Rocksan. I can't see this going over well if your ex doesn't have the virus. I don't know how young your child is but best to try to keep the situation uninterrupted for kids and not stopping access to either parent during this time. As a mom, I couldn't make this offer to my ex.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:33 AM

standing on the sidelines is on a distinguished road

I would keep things the way they are.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:10 AM
Banned

Abba435 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I am expecting something like this from my ex. Not happening. We are not going out. No risk. Getting ready to fight that one any day.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:34 AM

Thank you for your input, I'll take that into consideration;
There are three key factors why I thought of doing this.

1- the sick may not know for for days that they are sick and could be transmitting to others - that's one of the key reasons of the virus's fast and far reach. In Canada the reported cases doubled yesterday, The same trajectory as Italy!

2- my elderly parents with many health problems live with me and the virus coming to them could have dire consequences.

3- since our son started going to school we have always done exchanges at school/daycare and prior to that at access centres - those were on my instance because the other party has so far 6 false phone calls to the police, the first two times the police arrested me and I had to spend about 30k fighting false charges that were dropped before prelim - the lack of consequences only encouraged her to continue.
Since the courts are closed access centres aren't currently an option, send I am in no mood of having another round of police involvement.

I am certainly still considering your input but those are my reasons as of now
Old 03-18-2020, 09:21 AM

rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahibjee View Post

1- the sick may not know for for days that they are sick and could be transmitting to others - that's one of the key reasons of the virus's fast and far reach. In Canada the reported cases doubled yesterday, The same trajectory as Italy!

2- my elderly parents with many health problems live with me and the virus coming to them could have dire consequences.

3- since our son started going to school we have always done exchanges at school/daycare and prior to that at access centres - those were on my instance because the other party has so far 6 false phone calls to the police, the first two times the police arrested me and I had to spend about 30k fighting false charges that were dropped before prelim - the lack of consequences only encouraged her to continue.
Since the courts are closed access centres aren't currently an option, send I am in no mood of having another round of police involvement.

Then send your kid to the other parent and leave them there for 14 days.

This is bs. Your ex deserves to see their child and if neither of you have been exposed in any way then there should be no issue. How would you feel if your ex sent you this?
Old 03-18-2020, 09:25 AM

cranberry is on a distinguished road

Here's the flip side of this. My kiddos are finishing up their March Break with their dad today; I pick them up at noon. He made them call me yesterday to ask to stay longer due to the virus. I said no. This morning I woke up to a message from him via Our Family Wizard, sent at 3 am. The first sentence reads, "The boys are afraid to come to your house due to the virus..." That's all I read, closed it and will be picking them up at noon.

It is a very very frightening time. We all have to remember, how would you feel to be on the receiving end of these types of messages. Please don't send anything. All it will do is stir up shit with your high conflict ex.

Everyone stay safe!
Old 03-18-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockscan View Post
Then send your kid to the other parent and leave them there for 14 days.

This is bs. Your ex deserves to see their child and if neither of you have been exposed in any way then there should be no issue. How would you feel if your ex sent you this?
Maybe the bs part is you not reading my original post completely where I clearly offer her that she can keep him during the pendemic
Old 03-18-2020, 09:46 AM
Banned

Abba435 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahibjee View Post

You could be sick yourself.
You are creating an issue where none exists.
Unless you have a legitimate reason to be positive your children are facing a genuine risk just stop.

Tags
covid-19, emergency