This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common-law with ex-husband

If you get divorced from someone, then live together with that same person in a common-law relationship, would your status be considered "common-law" or "divorced"?

Also, if you had kids with your ex after you had already divorced, would you one of you still be required to pay child support to the other? (Since it seems like this sort of thing is usually determined during the divorce.)

(Also, would this be any different according to Revenue Canada's definition? Because it seems like they're playing by slightly different rules than the rest of the law.)

This is a hypothetical question, but since I've known people in similar situations, I'm curious about what the answer would be.

Shoot me now!

Comment

well a friend of mine went back to her first husband after they both left their second spouses. The way they did it was he still paid her child support by a check but she left it in the joint bank account they had. Her reasoning was that way they would not have to go back to court to get it all figureded out again if they split again.

To me it would be considered common law just like any other couple. They just got back with the person they divorced instead of a different person.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X