X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Representation

Hi All,

Scheduled to go to court soon and right now am self represented.

The ex just served papers that state will be using a lawyer now.

Can I just show up at court with my lawyer (is my advice lawyer) or do I have to fill out the form as well that he is representing me?

Can I do it on the same day as the case conference?

Thanks.

TD

If you have retained counsel, he/she should have filed a "notice of change in representation" form with the court.

Comment

If they are just appearing for that day on your behalf, and possibly giving advice, preparing documents for you etc. , they are acting as agent for you and as such, you cannot file a notice of change of representation for that. When you next go to court with the lawyer, she/he will state their name, and state that they are acting only in the capacity of an agent. That means you still get served by the other side personally.

Don't file a notice of change of representation nor contact the other party if a lawyer is acting as agent for you in court.

Also, even if you have decided to retain a lawyer for your case, it is not necessary to serve the notice of change of representation prior to the court date, you can just arrange for the lawyer to announce himself into the court record that day, and the other side can be served that day with it as well.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X