No announcement yet.

Interest piqued.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^agree WO - thus my request for a "source" which he so clearly gets his material from....

Comment

I confess I'm still not understanding most everything you meant, though I do agree with you about some of what little I did understand.

What is so specific about the virgin/non-virgin divide? What is it about having sex once that flips a switch in someone to be a good parent or not? How does having sex for the first time turn someone from a patient person to an impatient person? Plus, you kind of have to be a non-virgin to be a parent at all!

I think I'm seeing virginity as some sort of stand-in for virtue (Archie Bunker joke coming into play here?) for you? There are two kinds of people in the world, evil and good, and only experience with sex distinguishes them? That seems very limited and odd.

Where do arranged marriages without love come in? How about second marriages following a death? How about people whose virginity was ended via rape instead of by consent?

My definition of marriage is a public contract to create a lifetime respectful financial/sexual/emotional partnership with another person. Love is more complicated, but I guess my simple definition of love is devotion to another person's well-being and happiness.

Comment

Originally posted by AnarX View Post
        ....and understand my opinion.
        Thank you. There is enough in there for me to relate my opinion to some of your axioms of faith and other things you may assume to be true. Your voting thing, though? I am not sure! That sounds like a cognitive dissonance on your part!
        You can call it cognitive dissonance, I call it being flexible in my thinking. Not being chained to one set of idea's/value's in which I feel I must define myself. I see good and bad in many intellectual/spiritual ideas all across the world. I pick and choose what to believe in -- based on my morals and ethics.

As far as I am concerned, that is enough to understand the rest of my opinion. However, I am not going to over-estimate anybody's intelligence nor their intent. Therefore, I will crank it up to 11 and continue.
        Just for your personal reference, this quote above (the implication within it) is exactly why you're getting some un-helpful responses to your posts.

Now, you need to tell me a couple things:
        What is your definition of marriage? What is your definition of love?
        My definition of Marriage

My definition of Love

Comment

Originally posted by Rioe View Post
          ...Where do arranged marriages without love come in? How about second marriages following a death? How about people whose virginity was ended via rape instead of by consent?...

Yeppers ... I think we know what religion this might stem from....

Wonder if he'll cite his "holy book" ?

Comment

I sense these are edicts within a religion. Would you care to share just which religion (even privately via PM message)?
            (11) The desire to have sex outside of marriage comes from an evil force of nature.
            There is nothing evil about the human desire to have sex. Its perfectly normal and natural. There is nothing inherently evil about sexual desire...its perfectly healthy and normal. Sexual desire can manifest itself into unnatural tendencies both outside AND inside of marriage. Marriage guarantees nothing in the way of sexual purity.

The marriage contract is simply that...a contract. Its origins had to do with the fact that women were considered chattel.

Lots of unmarried people have committed relationships and simply choose not to get married because the contractual obligation often doesn't meet their needs.

Lots of married people have open relationships in which they engage in various sexual practices with other partners and yet stay married.

The whole post was judgey and nuts. To imply that someone that decides to have sex outside of marriage is more inclined to rape, or is teaching bad things to children, or is contributing to the downfall of society, etc...is just ridiculous.

(10) Sex outside of marriage is a sin and the wages of sin are death.
            Reading this post actually reminded me of some kind of wierd, freaky extremist religion horror book like Children of the Corn. Totally nuts.

Comment

No it comes from one of the major religions of the world, however, I won't spoil it for the OP.

Comment

No it comes from one of the major religions of the world, however, I won't spoil it for the OP.
                In most major religions, marriage was no guarantee of marital fidelity (for men in particular) if you read their associated texts.

Married men had sex with maids, slaves, had multiple wives/harems, even had sex with other family members.

Comment

There is absolutely NO REASON for some of you giving this guy a hard time.

He clearly states it will be hard for some people to understand. And many may disagree.

I've asked him to explain his reasoning to me, and he has been kind enough to do so. Please don't give him a hard time simply because I had the intellectual curiosity to ask him about it.

From what I see, the bashing of his ideals is you all showing your ignorance far more than whatever you perceive his ignorance to be. Is it impossible to respect another persons value system?

Comment

I don't believe asking someone for their source is "bashing" someone.

Each to their own....

Comment

ONE OF THOSE TWO GROUPS is directly responsible for a vastly disproportion share of the track record of people who lie about love through sex.

ONE OF THOSE TWO GROUPS holds the entire track record of making bad choices which, for some strange reason, creates brand new sentient beings whose only shot at freedom and individuality comes from FIRST submitting to the control and the coercion of the same impatient people who created them --- WITHOUT EXPECTING NOR DEMANDING ANY COMMITMENT from the other person who created the new people and WITHOUT any individual commitment to self-sufficiency.

ONE OF THOSE TWO GROUPS are very happy to publicly humiliate, ostracize, bully, coerce and rape members of THE OTHER GROUP who tends to do nothing of that sort at all.

For various reasons that do not need to be exploicit, ONE OF THOSE TWO GROUPS need to disassociate love from sex. Meanwhile, the OTHER GROUP has no need to do so and in fact, tends to seek the opposite.

ONE OF THOSE TWO GROUPS out-numbers the other group and sets a bad example to their children which is passed on from generation to generation.
                      I don't consider this kind...I consider it HIGHLY offensive. Maybe he should have pm'ed you rather than posting something this derogatory and inflammatory on a public message board. Since it is posted publically, I'm free to comment on it.

Comment

I didn't mention any names, Arabian - if you think I was speaking to you...
                        perhaps you have a guilty conscious? LOL

Look I'm not trying to get all up in arms over it.
                        But the fact remains I asked for his opinion. He's not forcing it on anyone.

I simply ask that this be a dialogue based on the mutual exchange of ideas, not to imply any one value set (or religion) is any more valid than the next.

We are each free to make up our own minds and carry on.

Comment

PH:

Lots of people do find anything different than their own words offensive.

I guess you are not immune to that affect.

Go figure.

Comment

yep I confess no longer a virgin and I'm a sinner!

Guilty!

Comment

WO: Its not only offensive, its factually incorrect. I could give a lot of examples.

For example, those that take vows of chastity and yet get accused of sexual acts against children. Or people who choose never to get married and yet stay faithful in committed relationships for years and years. I have a lot of gay friends in the U.S. that couldn't get married and yet have very loving and committed long-term relationships.

There are a lot of no longer married, sexually active people on this forum. And to suggest that they're more inclined to rape, to have sex without love, to make bad decisions, to pass along bad values to their children is absolutely offensive. I certainly do not respect anyone making such a ridiculous generalization.

Comment

Let me be clear, I have no interest in convincing you or anybody else of anything nor to change your mind. My interest is only to help you understand my opinion. My opinion is highly offensive to 99% of the common public and my peers --- just like homosexual marriage may perhaps be offensive to some people. Face it, people here in this forum demonstrate their prejudice when they read to the point where they fabricate and misrepresent what they read with an intent to offend. Many people let their emotions take control of many of their decisions --- I cite the recent bill proposal to make equal parenting a default start for all negotiation. That is a long way of saying that I do not expect most people to read my writing with an honest intent to understand or with the ability to understand. Therefore, I am limiting my expression to be as least offensive as possible --- if I can.
                                I thought I would point out what was said at the start of this.

Again this is the posters opinion...They are free to it and they are aware that it offends people.

I don't agree with it but who am I to judge someone's opinion.

Again people are also free to comment on it. No point in getting all upset over it as you were more than warned... lol.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X