Ottawa Divorce .com Forums


User CP

New posts

Advertising

  Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-03-2020, 08:45 PM
Taher Taher is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 16
Taher is on a distinguished road
Default Supplements/Vitamins and Section 7 Expenses

Hi, my child used to and still takes supplements and vitamins (no test proving deficiency) as per recommendation from the doctor. The supplements/vitamins are over the counter and are not prescriptions. Spouse asking to include these as Section 7 expenses. Are these considered Section 7 expenses? Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-03-2020, 10:14 PM
rockscan rockscan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 5,325
rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough
Default

No. Most over the counter meds are not section 7.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-03-2020, 10:53 PM
Taher Taher is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 16
Taher is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockscan View Post
No. Most over the counter meds are not section 7.
Thanks so much rockscan. What if the supplements are recommended by a medical doctor? (all over the counter though and have been given to the child prior to separation as well). Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-04-2020, 07:58 AM
rockscan rockscan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 5,325
rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough
Default

Thats what child support is for. If it was covered by insurance then it would be reimbursed but it is not. Therefore your child support covers it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-04-2020, 10:24 AM
Tayken's Avatar
Tayken Tayken is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7,152
Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockscan View Post
Thats what child support is for. If it was covered by insurance then it would be reimbursed but it is not. Therefore your child support covers it.
If the supplements are medically necessary they would be covered under an Exceptional Access Program (EAP) for OHIP (if Ontario) and other programs in other provinces. You have to apply for this and the medical doctor (MD) has to fill out the paperwork and you have to go through the process.

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/p...gs/eap_mn.aspx

Generally the cost to vitamin supplements are not significant but, if the child needs inflatables the costs can add up. If in Ontario it would be a children's hospital involved in this and they would have advised you of the program and even filled it out if the treatment is in support of a diagnosed medical condition.

Just because a doctor says you should take a multi-vitamin doesn't mean it is necessary nor a medical intervention needed to support the health of the child. Lots of parents do not understand what is "advice' and what is a "medical directive" given by a doctor.

Good Luck!
Tayken
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-04-2020, 01:36 PM
rockscan rockscan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 5,325
rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough
Default

I am sure every family doctor gives advice on additional things to do to stay healthy.

As the judge in my husbands case saidhis doctor recommends he eat more fish and vegetables and not sit so much but then he wouldnt be able to work. That comment was in relation to the ex demanding my husband pay additional support for a medically required diet. There was no prescribed diet, kid had to avoid certain foods.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-05-2020, 11:54 AM
Taher Taher is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 16
Taher is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayken View Post
If the supplements are medically necessary they would be covered under an Exceptional Access Program (EAP) for OHIP (if Ontario) and other programs in other provinces. You have to apply for this and the medical doctor (MD) has to fill out the paperwork and you have to go through the process.

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/p...gs/eap_mn.aspx

Generally the cost to vitamin supplements are not significant but, if the child needs inflatables the costs can add up. If in Ontario it would be a children's hospital involved in this and they would have advised you of the program and even filled it out if the treatment is in support of a diagnosed medical condition.

Just because a doctor says you should take a multi-vitamin doesn't mean it is necessary nor a medical intervention needed to support the health of the child. Lots of parents do not understand what is "advice' and what is a "medical directive" given by a doctor.

Good Luck!
Tayken
Thanks Tayken. The doctor has actually used the words "suggested" supplements. Tests results do not show any deficiency but the supplements are supposed to be helping the child as per the discussion with the doctor, hence being given. Yes, they are quite expensive as the best quality ones have been used always.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-05-2020, 11:56 AM
Taher Taher is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 16
Taher is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockscan View Post
I am sure every family doctor gives advice on additional things to do to stay healthy.

As the judge in my husbands case saidhis doctor recommends he eat more fish and vegetables and not sit so much but then he wouldnt be able to work. That comment was in relation to the ex demanding my husband pay additional support for a medically required diet. There was no prescribed diet, kid had to avoid certain foods.
Makes sense. Thanks so much for your help
None of the tests in our case proves that the child has any deficiency but the supplements have been given to help the child improve due to some of the child's medical issues
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Child Support / Section 7 Expenses Questions BelleoftheBalle Financial Issues 1 08-02-2020 09:04 PM
Child Support and Section 7 expenses blueman2017 Financial Issues 3 11-08-2019 04:25 PM
FRO - section 7 expenses Coop Financial Issues 5 10-22-2012 01:19 PM
Question on CS and Section 7 Expenses decent fellow Financial Issues 4 11-15-2011 01:59 AM
Actually GETTING the Payment for Section 7 Expenses dazedandconfused2049 Financial Issues 4 10-20-2011 10:15 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:31 PM.