"Proof of expense"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Proof of expense"

Im asking a question I know everyone says is "no receipt no pay" but it may not be as simple as that. My partner and his ex, post secondary...

After eight months of waiting, he heard "lets go with your estimates from last year and settle this issue, pay me this much money" to which my partner responded you have final costs, send the proof of the expense. Then "heres my cost breakdown but the agreement doesnt specifically say what proof is so I dont have all receipts" and included about $600 in legitimate receipts with a request for $18000 in other costs including a doctored statement with costs listed but credits whited out, his response was send the unedited receipt. Her response is that the amounts she left on the receipt are less than his estimates so thats proper proof. Theres credits on the receipt. She didn't pay the full amounts listed. Its not right to claim a higher total than what you paid right? She admitted in the second email to $2000 in credits, theres more credit codes but no dollar amounts on the statement. What exactly is she hiding?

Short of ignoring her bs, is there anything in case law or the FCSG that clearly states what acceptable proof of an expense is? As in "my portion of the legitimately proven costs is x, when I receive a full undoctored receipt for the remaining costs, I will provide my share."

A receipt is a confirmation of payment made, not a confirmation of the price.

Someone here before made a great statement regarding this: the price is not the cost. The cost is what you actually pay/paid. So if there were credits etc it is the actual out of pockets cost that is shared.

Comment

Absolutely. I told him that a price on a receipt is a price. The amount PAID is the cost. She shouldnt be coming to him with a price when she paid the price less any credits which left the cost. The total PAID is whited out of the receipt.

Comment

Yeah if it's whited out then it's invalid, IMO.

Comment

I went back and looked at the print out and the pdf zoomed in. The credit box beside the tuition cost has been whited out. There was another tuition credit ex doesnt want to show. My partner knows kid didnt take a full course load. Drops are refunded from total tuition costs charged.

I ask this, if she has nothing to hide and wants to provide total costs paid, why are credits whited out, totals for credits applied whited out, and total payments made whited out.

Is it worth responding and stating just that? "The alterations to the statement demonstrate an unwillingness to be forthcoming with total costs payable. If you have nothing to hide then why are these totals withheld? A falsified receipt is not only unfair but illegal. You have until x date to provide a complete, unedited, non-redacted receipt otherwise I will be providing my portion of the costs outlined in the unaltered receipts."

Too much?

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post

Is it worth responding and stating just that? "The alterations to the statement demonstrate an unwillingness to be forthcoming with total costs payable. If you have nothing to hide then why are these totals withheld? A falsified receipt is not only unfair but illegal. You have until x date to provide a complete, unedited, non-redacted receipt otherwise I will be providing my portion of the costs outlined in the unaltered receipts."

Too much?
            Yes, I think it's too much. You don't need to ask questions you already know the answer to, and you don't need to inform her that faking documents is wrong. How about:

In order to reimburse my portion of the costs, I require an original, unaltered and unmodified statement showing the amount paid and showing any credits or refunds. The statement you sent me has signs of alteration. Please send me the original.

Comment

Thanks stripes. His response was pretty much that. He flipped at the idea of calling her on it because it might start a war. He sees his lawyer next week. I reminded him he can either waste his hour listening to the lawyer tell him these receipts are bs or he can demand proper proof and have it for his lawyers calculations. Theres no personal info on this receipt other than a student number. White that out if you want but you cant white out credits and totals paid. If we're wrong and there were no additional credits fine. But if we are right and shes removed credits applied to the account...

Comment

"Proof of expense"

Its been 48 hours since he sent his demand for a full copy of the receipt. The only response he has was from kid telling him he was unreasonable. After 45 minutes of arguing (well, she was yelling he just kept saying proof of payment is what he is entitled to) she leaned toward agreeing with him and said she would talk to mom. Its obvious how that went.

Two new arguments though: the SA says nothing about what proof of the expense is (i.e. Shes right sending him the proof of the CHARGES) and "lawyer" says she doesnt have to show private info and payment amounts are private.

And for those who ask "why doesnt he just work with kid"? "Mom says no because she wants to make sure shes gets what shes owed."

Unless shes planning to send it at the deadline he gave as a F you, shes hiding something and now cant admit it.

Comment

There's really no need to argue over it. He makes the request for the unaltered receipts and waits to receive it. That's all he needs to do. Going back and forth just gives the impression there is something to negotiate on. There isn't. He gets the proper receipt or no payment. Period.

Comment

Yes I know. Kid called to fight it. He just said to her hes not budging. He gets the proper proof or the expense isnt paid.

Comment

Saw the lawyer today. Showed him the receipt. He actually thought it was a joke. "Is she kidding? Did she really think a judge would accept this?" When we advised him of her completely unreasonable (and contemptible) actions over the past year he just shook his head and started calculating. But he too said "no receipt no pay".

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X