Dad Not Guilty After Taking Away Kid's Phone on His Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dad Not Guilty After Taking Away Kid's Phone on His Time

Wow, just WOW! The attitude of some parents just blows my mind.

When dad took 12 yr old kid's phone away for inappropriate texting, mom called police to make him give it back. 3 years and a jury trial later:

Dallas dad not guilty for taking tween daughter's phone | WKYC.com

How simple could it have been if he shared the inappropriate texts and his concerns with the ex, and advised he was removing the phone during his parenting time, and it would be returned to the parent’s possession at the commencement of her parenting time for her further action? Or a united family discussion on what is, and what is not, appropriate on social media?

Instead, a classic ‘cut off the nose, to spite the face’:

“Jackson says the ordeal has permanently ended any chances to have a relationship with his daughter.
    "I have to separate myself from them," Jackson says. "I can't ever have a relationship with them again."

He doesn’t seem to be bothered by that loss of his child's relationship - perhaps because he didn't become actively involved in the child’s life until she was 7?
    Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

Originally posted by mcdreamy View Post
      He doesn’t seem to be bothered by that loss of his child's relationship - perhaps because he didn't become actively involved in the child’s life until she was 7?
      I noticed that he had been absent for quite a bit of the daughter's life and also that the mother called the police when the phone was taken away instead of the two of them trying to find a way to deal with the child's behaviour together.

Comment

No doubt, there's no winner here. This could have ended so differently for the 3 of them if either parent had paused for a moment and communicated with each other, before acting.

Hopefully, in a few years this child will mature and realize she deserves a solid relationship with both parents and will seek him out, to see if he is still interested in participating.

Comment

Originally posted by YoungDad23 View Post
          I noticed that he had been absent for quite a bit of the daughter's life and also that the mother called the police when the phone was taken away instead of the two of them trying to find a way to deal with the child's behaviour together.
          Mom called the police over a phone? Wow. Talk about high conflict.

Comment

Umm, that's not really all that high conflict. My ex doesn't need any taking of phones to call the police. Just last week she called them to say she's afraid of me for knocking on her door. Which I did because the last officer she called said I should and if there were any problems, call them back. This time, I was told not to trespass on her property or I would be charged with criminal harassment, but that I should keep videotaping everything.

And that's just a teensy bit of four years of intense diabolical whackjobbery that absolutely nobody will acknowledge is pathological and highly harmful to the children.

Comment

Huh. My daughters ex called the police when he creeping on her Facebook and saw a picture taken in California by her sister and she was tagged in it. Police arrived knocking on the door and found my daughter and grandson sitting on the beanbag reading!

They were not impressed. He then further used the same picture in a sworn affidavit, to accuse her of not being with their son and not informing him. We just lauded and sent him a copy of the police report which referred to him as a nuisance caller.

Clearly no relationship will ever be settled here.

This could be a new thread though. "Crazy phone calls ex's make to thermocline and how to handle them"

Comment

I hope my ex wife doesn't see this. She would probably consider it brilliant to call the police and file charges of theft if my son forgot any of his things at my house.

She has actually threatened this in the past. I had picked up some of our son's medication from the pharmacy (for ADHD) and she sent me an e-mail telling me she would call the police and have me arrested on drug charges if I didn't send the medication to her house.

Apparently, doing so could give her at the very least the satisfaction of seeing me dragged away in chains in the middle of the night, jailed, and losing any relationship with our son.

Comment

How simple could it have been if he shared the inappropriate texts and his concerns with the ex, and advised he was removing the phone during his parenting time, and it would be returned to the parent’s possession at the commencement of her parenting time for her further action? Or a united family discussion on what is, and what is not, appropriate on social media?

Instead, a classic ‘cut off the nose, to spite the face’:

“Jackson says the ordeal has permanently ended any chances to have a relationship with his daughter.
                  "I have to separate myself from them," Jackson says. "I can't ever have a relationship with them again."

So it's all dad's fault? Sure he could have communicated better. But she called the police? They both made bad moves, but mom's I believe to be the most irrational in this situation, regardless of which parent was the better one in the past.

Comment

I wish my ex-wife would pull crap like this, just further her level insanity for my children... I think if you are the better parent, it just shows up day after day and if you raised your child to learn right from wrong one day when you want to impose punishement on that basis then they will understand.

We'll see if I am right or my kids just screw off

I believe in carrot and stick...

Comment

Originally posted by LovingFather32 View Post
                      So it's all dad's fault? Sure he could have communicated better. But she called the police? They both made bad moves, but mom's I believe to be the most irrational in this situation, regardless of which parent was the better one in the past.
                      I’m not sure the argument of which parent made the “Less Bad Move” as opposed to the “Most Bad Move”, is a strategy [certainly not a separated parenting/family technique], that I can get behind. And he did initiate the situation, by refusing to hand the phone over to the other parent. I wouldn’t have handed it back to the kidlet either, on my parenting time/discipline.

Frankly, I’m not too sure I would have handed it over to the police either if they had shown up on my parenting time. But I certainly would have settled with the other parent long before this wound up in a court room.

[It’s also not difficult to be the better parent for the first 7 years, when the other one is absent].

No doubt, there's no winner here. This could have ended so differently for the 3 of them if either parent had paused for a moment and communicated with each other, before acting.
                      In any event, as I had posted, I think they were both wrong. Not More Wrong, or Less Wrong – wrong. And on the downside, his Less Bad Move has cost him a relationship with his daughter. On the upside, I suppose he has a phone.

It would appear at least one party, if not both, created conflict and continued to engage in an attempt to prove their point – ego? I know a couple of people like that, who just can’t stop engaging and promoting conflict, sometimes even seeking out situations to argue over. These types of people will continue to feed the lawyers and mess up their kids.

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
                      I think if you are the better parent, it just shows up day after day and if you raised your child to learn right from wrong one day when you want to impose punishment on that basis then they will understand. We'll see if I am right or my kids just screw off I believe in carrot and stick...
                      Be the normal one, it’s not that difficult. There is no 'better' parent, for the kids, there are only parents. And when it comes to co-parenting, don’t be the drama llama, and hope to the FSM that your ex is a normal one as well. Sometimes you’ll have to stretch your comfort zone – I’m lucky to have someone I can confide in, and run both parenting and legal advice by when I’m second guessing myself.

And the kids will figure it out – I think kids like normal, safe, secure (which does mean some stick, with carrot) home lives. And discussion on what is, or is not, acceptable in your home. Our kidlet takes her discipline in both households – grudgingly, but she gets it now.
                      Last edited by mcdreamy; 01-29-2016, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FormerFather88 View Post
                        Umm, that's not really all that high conflict.
                        Just to clarify; that's very high-conflict, even if it comes from just one parent. lol.

Comment

Dallas County seems to have a system to look up criminal court cases, but I could not find the actual court documents for this, though I could find some of the document references (which I didn't understand). It would be interesting to read the actual court case for this.

Comment

From the National Post, Feb. 1st, 2016.

Father found not guilty of property theft after he took away his 12 year old’s phone: ‘I was being a parent’ | National Post

Their story has a slightly different set of "facts". According to "their" story, it doesn't sound like the girl was sending any inappropriate "sexting" messages, or pic, but instead was texting a friend, that she didn't like the new "ratchet" stepmom, and kids. Apparently, that is unflattering (I'm not caught-up with any current lingo).

Also mentioned that, "Mom's" new fiance on that side of the parenting fence, is a police officer, on the force who arrested the father.

Just sounds like a really horrible family dynamic.

Comment

Originally posted by dad2bandm View Post
                              From the National Post, Feb. 1st, 2016.

Father found not guilty of property theft after he took away his 12 year old’s phone: ‘I was being a parent’ | National Post

Their story has a slightly different set of "facts". According to "their" story, it doesn't sound like the girl was sending any inappropriate "sexting" messages, or pic, but instead was texting a friend, that she didn't like the new "ratchet" stepmom, and kids. Apparently, that is unflattering (I'm not caught-up with any current lingo).

Also mentioned that, "Mom's" new fiance on that side of the parenting fence, is a police officer, on the force who arrested the father.

Just sounds like a really horrible family dynamic.
                              Not surprised there was more to the story.

He definitely should have given the phone back to the mom at the end of the visit and let it go at that.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X