Cronyism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cronyism?

Had my first court date yesterday. Showed up early and watched as people went about their business. It struck me how "buddy, buddy" the lawyers and court staff were. I realize this would not be any different in any work situation, but I could not help but wonder how the pal-ing around and in some cases casual approach with each other, translates to achieving fairness and justice in family court system. Thoughts?

Originally posted by nasa View Post
    Had my first court date yesterday. Showed up early and watched as people went about their business. It struck me how "buddy, buddy" the lawyers and court staff were. I realize this would not be any different in any work situation, but I could not help but wonder how the pal-ing around and in some cases casual approach with each other, translates to achieving fairness and justice in family court system. Thoughts?

I soon realized that when Duty counsel advised me what a "great guy" opposing counsel was and then sent me on a wild goose chase for a form that didn't exist. That same duty counsel lawyer was also working in FLIC when I went there as well and was just as rude and unhelpful as he was doing duty counsel.

My husband's ex also came across her former lawyer acting as duty counsel. That duty counsel of course represented her in the courtroom despite her income being significant enough to not qualify for assistance. But, then we learned that lawyer and the hubby's ex are all part of the same LGBT advocacy group. Dots were connected.

Comment

Lawyers have to work with each other for many years
      Lawyers deal with you for just a little
      Judges are former lawyers
      Appeal Judges are former superior court judges
      Judges almost never get fired
      Judges work for the government
      The government doesn't want to pay people welfare

You must be out of your mind to think there is no collusion in the system
      Divorcees who go to court are like cars going through a car wash, be stripped clean of as much money as the lawyers can get until you get out. It is a well-oiled machine and MANY people's livelihoods are based on divorce. 35%+ of all civil cases are related to family law.

Comment

[QUOTE=Links17;166230]

You must be out of your mind to think there is no collusion in the system

Not much need to be commenting about my state of mind, especially since I never stated or implied that there was no collusion. I was wondering about other peoples views.

Comment

Sorry, i wasn't referring to you - just a general comment for the average joe.

Comment

It struck me how "buddy, buddy" the lawyers and court staff were.
            Court staff don't make orders so it really isn't a benefit. Clerks and coordinators have no say in how a matter is ordered.

I realize this would not be any different in any work situation, but I could not help but wonder how the pal-ing around and in some cases casual approach with each other, translates to achieving fairness and justice in family court system. Thoughts?
            My thoughts:

1. Clerks and other court staff have no impact on the outcome in a matter. A judge is the trier of fact in the matter.

2. Judges were once lawyers. So it is not uncommon that they know each other both professionally and socially.

3. Lawyers who work in Family Law often appear before the same justices in the same districts. So, choose your lawyer wisely their reputation can impact your case.

Good Luck!
            Tayken

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X