A question of dates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question of dates?

My daughters lawyer has recently sent out an offer to her ex to settle a matter on CS and Access schedule.

I just re read it and notice that the date his lawyer was given to reply by was Feb 15. Just realized its Family Day and everywhere is shut down. Does that mean they should reply by today Friday 12 or it's valid to Tuesday Feb 16 or it's Monday Feb 15 regardless?

TIME-LIMITED OFFER
    (6) An offer that is not accepted within the time set out in the offer is considered to have been withdrawn. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 18 (6).

Some lawyers work weekends and send each other emails. So I guess you won't know until Tuesday morning, after your lawyer checks his inbox, whether the offer was accepted or not.

Comment

Family day is a provincial holiday. Not everyone takes it off. Federal workers and many in the private sector still have to work.

Comment

In the future, I don't recommend time limiting offers. Family law judges often do not like when people do this. Offers to settle should be firm and final if at all possible.

The impression you want to give with an offer is that this is good for both parties and fair. It shouldn't have a time limit... It should be something you would be willing to do now and at any time because it will settle a matter.

Leave them open until a minute into the start of an actual TRIAL. The only time you should withdraw an offer is if you have made a BETTER offer.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X