This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GDGM,

What a terribly frustrating situation you're in.

I'm sure a lot of us have heard this one before: Please tell your lawyer *everything*! The best way to do that is in writing. This makes things much easier for lawyers and their staff to keep track of the relationship history of the parties, both before and after separation. What may appear as irrelevant information to you could end up being significant information to your lawyer!

Lindsay

Comment

Hi Gooddad,

I would say if you can, or have witnesses to the fact, get affidavits regarding your ex and the fact she is making her disability out to be worse then what it is just to screw you over. Have your sister in law, the doctor, write out her opinion that there is no reason why she can't go to school or hold down a job.

It may not do anything, but I would like to hope that it will make her look less credible, lazy, etc. I have people doing that for me regarding my ex's drug and alcohol abuse and gambling addiction. My lawyer said I would not be obligated to pay for his addictions, so hopefully these affidavits will help me some.

I still don't understand how come we have a law here in this country of plenty where adults are not responsible for themselves. But what sickens me more then that is the PEOPLE who use and abuse and take these GUIDELINES (for spousal support) to the extreme.

If everyone over the age of say, 21, knew that the only way they would get spousal support was if they were the primary child-care provider and stayed home with the kids, then our country would probably be much better off.

The first thing my lawyer(s) told me basically was that marriage is a partnership. To me that means 50% equal...so in my case, if he does not support the family because he is the lower income earner, he does not pay for 50% of the household expenses, he does not pay 50% towards his childrens support and/or education, he does not do 50% of the household chores, or buy 50% of the food, etc., then how is this a partnership????

It all just makes me sick that a MAN would stoop this low -- I am trying hard not to be sexist, but he has been sexist toward me because I have done 99% of the "female" roles of the marriage, as he expected me to. I have and work with a lot of male friends and it was unanimous that none of them would (or did) take money from their wives (or ex's) who earned more. That just goes to prove mine is being vindictive.

Anyways, my opinion, again.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X