No announcement yet.

Support Payments on Moonlighting jobs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Support Payments on Moonlighting jobs?

Hypothetical question: If one were to "roll up their sleeves" and burn the candle by moonlighting at McDonald's to help dig themselves out of the hole that their ex left them in (ie: pay legal bills and debts), does the moonlighting job count towards support support payments?
    Last edited by LovingDad1234; 05-06-2020, 04:35 PM.

Originally posted by LovingDad1234 View Post
    Hypothetical question: If one were to "roll up their sleeves" and burn the candle by moonlighting at McDonald's to help dig themselves out of the hole that their ex left them in (ie: pay legal bills and debts), does the moonlighting job count towards support support payments?
    its income so yes.

Comment

You would need consent. If no consent it is line 150 income.

Comment

Originally posted by Abba435 View Post
        You would need consent.
        Consent for what?

Income is income.

Comment

Consent to exclude income to reduce base or to just reduce CS payable
          Minutes of Settlement to reflect mutual agreement.
          Sounds unlikely if not impossible in this case.
          Court would never grant this.
          Last edited by Abba435; 05-07-2020, 08:39 AM.

Comment

You don’t get consent on this type of income. You can only argue for the removal of a one time payment like withdrawing RRSP funds to pay a lawyer or in my husbands case his RRSP rollover when he lost his job.

Income is income and if it gets reported on line 150 it’s fair game for income calculations. If it doesn’t go on your taxes, it’s not income. Infer what you want from that.

Comment

You can always vary child support on mutual consent.
              Unilaterally of course not.
              Rare but it happens.

Comment

You can always vary child support on mutual consent.
                Unilaterally of course not.
                Rare but it happens.

Not on table support. A judge won’t sign off on it and judges have to sign off on consent orders too.

Comment

A judge recommended this very thing in a case conference.
                  She recommended to reduce child support on consent to reflect direct costs resulting from unconsented actions by my ex.
                  Before that I thought CS was untouchable too.

Comment

Originally posted by LovingDad1234 View Post
                    ...does the moonlighting job count towards support support payments?

What is "support support"?

Did you mean to say child support? Or spousal support?

Child support would just be based on your income, so yes, it would be adjusted for an increase in income. No question there.

I'm not sure spousal support would be as straight-forward. If spousal support, what does your current order/agreement say in regards to this? Usually spousal support is "determined", and if there is no "adjustment" mentioned in the order or agreement, I think it would need to be "revisited". I would not automatically adjust spousal support, unless the order/agreement already specifically called for that.

Comment

A judge recommended this very thing in a case conference.
                      She recommended to reduce child support on consent to reflect direct costs resulting from unconsented actions by my ex.
                      Before that I thought CS was untouchable too.

Thats different. In cases where there are access costs then yes you can agree on consent to reduce it to cover those costs but again you have to have a judge sign off on it.

In OP case extra income is not considered for reduction on consent.

Comment

On consent (in an agreement) SS can be adjusted annually the same as CS. It is need based so if the recipient starts to make more earlier than expected then it is reasonable (IMHO) to reflect this.

SS entitlement and duration are normally not reviewed annually, usually every 3-5 years depending on the circumstances. There is nothing stopping parties to agree to revise annually.

Comment

I know parties where no CS is paid on consent and other parties where CS was either increased or reduced on consent. You cannot of course consent to reducing T1 taxable income. But you can absolutely vary child support from table amounts on mutual consent.

Comment

Caveat. When CS and SS are paid CRA will attribute the table amount to CS and then the balance to SS to disallow parties from making CS deductible to the higher income earner. They removed income splitting a long time ago by making CS non-deductible. If only CS they do not care.

Comment

Originally posted by Brampton33 View Post
                              So if I make an extra $10,000 by moonlighting in 2021 and quit in December 2021....when I do my taxes in 2022, my earnings will show as higher and that will be reflected in my support payments for 2022, despite me quitting that "extra" job in December 2021? Did I get that right?
                              Essentially, you paid less support in 2021 than you should have (since it was based on 2020) but you will pay more in 2022 than you should since it will be based on 2021.

On average, this system probably very slightly benefits support payers because income usually increases over time.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X