Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Old 03-03-2020, 03:09 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough

So last year you were trying to reduce your child support and get 50/50 while working nights to reduce support. Now you are on LTD and absolutely need to reduce support. You signed an agreement on consent and had some sudden onset of problems? Your ex does not agree with this?
Old 03-03-2020, 03:28 PM

Sick_Dad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillPaying View Post
If you came to an agreement while you were already on disability, you need to speak to a lawyer. Also, remembered that your LTD amount will be grossed up for support purposes. With that in mind, how much support do you believe you're overpaying?

My payments were based off my income while working, approx 94k. now im on LTD that has dropped to 54k
Old 03-03-2020, 05:54 PM

StillPaying is on a distinguished road

You should hire a lawyer if you need help. 94k is way over the legal aid limit and the 65-75k that you make now (with a lot less expenses) is way over the limit for asking other struggling parents for financial handouts IMO. If you're not on CPP now, your LTD will force you to apply soon, and that'll be extra income.... plus all the other disability benefits you receive. Physically/mentally you may be struggling, but not financially and court offers lots of help for anyone in need.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:54 PM

Sick_Dad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You should hire a lawyer if you need help. 94k is way over the legal aid limit and the 65-75k that you make now (with a lot less expenses) is way over the limit for asking other struggling parents for financial handouts IMO. If you're not on CPP now, your LTD will force you to apply soon, and that'll be extra income.... plus all the other disability benefits you receive. Physically/mentally you may be struggling, but not financially and court offers lots of help for anyone in need.
based off what I've received my first few checks ill gross approx 54-56k, and that is only limited for 2 years. what I'm trying to accomplish is to find a lawyer or and individual that can help me. i need to focus on my health and when that returns and back to work I can take care of fees or cost involved if need be. I hate the fact i started that gofundme account because i hate asking people for help, let alone the judgements that comes with it.
Old 03-04-2020, 07:16 AM

rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough

If you were already injured and on LTD when you signed the agreement why did you sign? You were adamant you reduce cs already and looking at ways to do so and then got hurt? You shouldnt have signed. You ex may now argue intentional underemployment and it will cost you more.

At this point you need to simply file a motion to change and hope for a judge willing to listen. If you hire a lawyer you will just end up in a situation where you are spending more money than support. Next year when you update, the amounts will go down.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick_Dad View Post
based off what I've received my first few checks ill gross approx 54-56k, and that is only limited for 2 years. what I'm trying to accomplish is to find a lawyer or and individual that can help me. i need to focus on my health and when that returns and back to work I can take care of fees or cost involved if need be. I hate the fact i started that gofundme account because i hate asking people for help, let alone the judgements that comes with it.
When you gross up that amount, you're still making more than a lot of single parents. You can hire a lawyer, taxi, attendant care, or just ask the court for additional help... Asking people for money here or on gofundme is a scam.

After 2 years, if you're still disabled you'll still get LTD, otherwise you'll return to your 94k.
Old 03-04-2020, 11:12 AM

Janus will become famous soon enoughJanus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick_Dad View Post
Janus, actually I was off work when I signed the agreement. I mentioned to the judge during the settlement conference about my ailment and to be honest he just dismissed it.
So what would be your material change of circumstances?

What has changed between the time you signed the agreement, and today?
Old 03-06-2020, 06:25 PM

...and how much money have you defrauded/raised on this non-issue?
Old 03-07-2020, 05:39 PM
Banned

Abba435 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

"Material change of circumstances" is a must.
Cannot have been "foreseeable" at the time of contract.
Google those key words together.
Old 03-08-2020, 10:45 AM

Janus will become famous soon enoughJanus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Asking people for money here
He never did. If he does, feel free to wale away. Until then, he hasn't tried to scam anybody here.