Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Parenting Issues

Parenting Issues This forum is for discussing any of the parenting issues involved in your divorce, including parenting of step-children.

Old 09-21-2016, 02:45 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

Good point - she is not yet in grade 1.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:09 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough

I can only imagine how frustrating it is for divorced parents who dont agree with parenting practices and have to watch things going off the rails. In this case the only thing you can do is provide positive reinforcement to d5. And of course document everything. You can continue to reassure her that mommy and daddy are grown ups and can deal with her being away from them but in the end the response will be "well mommy says shes not as strong as you are and she still misses me". Just keep doing what youre doing and try to not let the frustration get to you. At least you have the benefit of being able to provide a positive influence fifty per cent of the time!
Old 09-21-2016, 09:21 PM

blinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the rough

She will likely have no choice but to stop once she has a job to get to.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:52 AM

good_mom is on a distinguished road

We have the same here.

1- still sleeping with mom at almost 8 there and has her own bed and room at dads

2-set routine at Dads nothing at moms= when with dad and she is looking tired off to bed early.

3- mom was saying the same thing last year, dad said he would be more than wiling to be there at the bus stop with mom to show support of kid going to school. ( mom was saying kid hate school= to find out that it was due to sleep deprivation) MOM said no to Dad being there for bus pick ups kid has been going to school more often.

You can only work with what you have....we all have a long haul with our exes.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:25 AM

Flora13 is on a distinguished road

Hello,

Sometimes it is very difficult to send your little ones off to school. I understand that. But its best to do a "park & kiss". Let the little one off at the designated area hug, smile and then go. Go home and cry later if you need to. Kids will feed off emotions of their parents. Its hard enough as a little one starting kindergarten, reassurance from parents and a brave face is important! I think now schools even have a policy in place about this. And there is no reason to lurk around the school either unless the school has asked you to be there for an appropriate reason. This is also a policy most schools have too.

They will be fine at school, fine to sleep on their own in their own bed and are way more resilient then most adults.

Also routine is so important! Bed at the same time every night, wake up, go to school for the bell. The little one needs it and implementing that now helps them to be awesome later too. Just think how much a shift in routine effects us as adults. Im sure you both want your child to be successful at school. Movie night with mom is great but perhaps on a weekend.

Just my two cents. Im not an expert by any means.Just a mom. I hope you can at least be on the same page with your ex with something so important as setting up great habits for their future.

Good luck!