No announcement yet.

Access by non-custodial parent who is out of the country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seriously, focus on the children. They are all that really matter in Family Court. YOU are the only one that knows what that "interest" is.

Give yourself a reality check. You already know what you need to do. :-)

Comment

I don't have anything to add, except that your ex sounds like an absolute d!ck, and this is one of the few stories I've heard where it really does seem like sole custody is the best way to go.

And kudos to you for working together with your ex's other ex (your sister-ex-wife??) to build a relationship between the two half-sisters. That's truly child-centred on both your parts.

Comment

A child of 12 does not need consent and/or permission, or even the knowledge of one or both parents for counseling. This is law. So why is counseling being denied. Moreover if a particular counselor is refusing, move to the next.

You could also offer joint custody be retained and then seek specific clauses for travel and whatever else.

Comment

Originally posted by Serene View Post
          A child of 12 does not need consent and/or permission, or even the knowledge of one or both parents for counseling. This is law. So why is counseling being denied. Moreover if a particular counselor is refusing, move to the next.

You could also offer joint custody be retained and then seek specific clauses for travel and whatever else.
          maybe you could give a link or something to that particular law so that the mom can tell the ex or whoever she needs to tell so the child can have the help she needs?

Comment

Child and Family Services Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. C.11

Part II, Section 28.

Comment

She isn't 12 yet.

I started with requesting consent for counselling a year ago. No luck.

She'll be 12 in a few months - but she needs help NOW. I found one place that will take her on a walk-in basis - but it doesn't jive at all with my work schedule and with it neing walkin, she may or may not be seen and would have a diff counsellor each time she went. This won't work for my daughter.

I found one other program that will take her - but only because the wait list is 8 months long and she'll be 12 by then.

I'm going to make an appt with my family doctor today. She's inconsolable - and not because of dad's recent denial of a visit - she knows nothing about it.

I've asked the school for help and got nowhere productive.

Comment

Many psychologists will see a child without consent of other parent if u can demonstrate you've tried to obtain consent.

Comment

I've taken my child also to counselling, on the advice of my lawyer before I self repped. No one ever questioned me about the other parents consent.

Comment

Correct.

The more efficient way to get the child to a counselor is to provide the child with the Kids Help phone line #:

Kids Help Phone - free, anonymous, 24/7 telephone and online counselling | Kids Help Phone

1-800-668-6868

Comment

Originally posted by takeontheworld View Post
                      I've taken my child also to counselling, on the advice of my lawyer before I self repped. No one ever questioned me about the other parents consent.
                      Be mindful of this:

"When Not To See Kids In Counselling"

Your Social Worker - Gary Direnfeld, MSW, RSW

Comment

Many psychologists will see a child without consent of other parent if u can demonstrate you've tried to obtain consent.
                        Not any that I am aware of that are registered with the College of Psychologists in Ontario or Social Workers. They will generally need a referral from the child's family practitioner stating that they are of a competent age to consent for their own medical needs first.

Comment

Part of the confusion around who can give consent for counselling has to do with the ambiguity of what "counselling" is and who can do it. A social worker, a pastor, a psychologist, a psychiatrist, or someone with training in some form of emotional therapy could all describe their work as "counselling". In general, people in occupations which are regulated by a professional college (not just an "association" or an "organization") are more highly trained and will be sticklers for dotting the i's and crossing the t's, which can be a headache in situations like the OP's. Tayken gave an example with the Ontario College of Social Workers. They can get in trouble from their college if they color outside the lines, such as by taking on child clients without sufficient parental consent (although there is, as Tayken notes, some flexibility if the referral comes through other regulated professionals, such as teachers or family practitioners).

Comment

Tayken - you clearly don't know every psychologist

Remember, a doctor is supposed to do good. Even if they don't have a referral from another doctor (gp or whatever) they will often see the child. They will want you to demonstrate that you have made concerted effort to advise the other parent and gain their permission.

The referral from a GP or other treating doctor (or a teacher I think was mentioned earlier in this thread) is not "consent". It's a referral.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                            Working...
                            X