Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:22 PM

RLS is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tax Time - Form T778

It's been a while since I've posted, things have been pretty quiet, thankfully.

Something has just come up though in regards to exchanging tax returns/noas and I was hoping someone could shine some light on it...

It states in Mom and Dad's agreement the usual, that returns and noas are to be exchanged by June 1st. Last year, Dad had noticed that Mom's T778 form (childcare expenses) was not included in her copy. Dad requested it, but never received it.

Yesterday, Dad emailed a friendly reminder, to please not forget to include her T778 this year. Mom responded by saying that because Dad takes off his 20% (childcare deduction at 20%) each month from the childcare expenses, that he has no right to her T778 and instead he will see on her NOA what was paid out.

I don't believe there's a line for childcare expenses/deductions included on one's NOA, has anyone else seen this? Are we missing something? Even looking at her previous NOA, there's nothing on it in regards to childcare...

When we read in the agreement that individual returns and NOAs are to be exchanged by June, we imagine that this includes every form, not just the pieces that we want to include. Does everyone else not exchange everything?

Dad needs to see the amount that was claimed and the deductions that Mom received for the year.

Any input would be appreciated.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:05 PM

Serene is on a distinguished road

Financial disclosure fundamentally means FULL financial disclosure.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:43 PM

dad2bandm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS View Post
Yesterday, Dad emailed a friendly reminder, to please not forget to include her T778 this year. Mom responded by saying that because Dad takes off his 20% (childcare deduction at 20%) each month from the childcare expenses, that he has no right to her T778 and instead he will see on her NOA what was paid out.

I don't believe there's a line for childcare expenses/deductions included on one's NOA, has anyone else seen this? Are we missing something? Even looking at her previous NOA, there's nothing on it in regards to childcare...
The tax return itself, will simply have line 214, with a dollar amount, which would show the allowable claim for child expenses she put down. How many children are involved and is Dad a father to other children, or not?

The form T778 would have the details...ex. the child's name, amount for that child, the child-care provider info (presumably). If there are other children in the picture, that are not Dad's, I would insist on the T778 as part of the disclosure.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:45 PM

dad2bandm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS View Post
...Mom responded by saying that because Dad takes off his 20% (childcare deduction at 20%) each month from the childcare expenses, that he has no right to her T778 and instead he will see on her NOA what was paid out...
I didn't know what this meant? I assume this is the tax credit, that Dad is taking off the top, to account for this share of child care expense if I read this correctly?
Old 04-03-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bandm View Post
The tax return itself, will simply have line 214, with a dollar amount, which would show the allowable claim for child expenses she put down. How many children are involved and is Dad a father to other children, or not?

The form T778 would have the details...ex. the child's name, amount for that child, the child-care provider info (presumably). If there are other children in the picture, that are not Dad's, I would insist on the T778 as part of the disclosure.
There's only one child involved, no others.

Dad's hoping for full disclosure as per the agreement. If mom fails to provide full disclosure on June 1st, which would include the T778, then I've suggested that Dad provide her with a Form 20 Request for Information. This has worked for Dad before. He didn't have to make any trips to the court house either, he just filled it out, gave it to Mom and then he was provided with the information within a few days.

Although, Tayken has said it before, "If you have a final agreement or final court order, a Form 20 Request for Information really doesn't hold any weight. The agreement/order is what is valid" luckily, it has worked in the past and might work again, hopefully.

Last edited by RLS; 04-03-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bandm View Post
I didn't know what this meant? I assume this is the tax credit, that Dad is taking off the top, to account for this share of child care expense if I read this correctly?
Yes, exactly. Sorry, I should've been more clear on that.