This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engaged while waiting for divorce to be final

Does anyone know if getting engaged while waiting for my divorce to be finalized will effect my financial entitlement or settlement? My soon to be ex keeps dragging out every aspect of this divorce and I want to get on with my life. I realize I cant get married again until after my divorce is finalized but would like to get engaged now.

I am not an expert on SS but I would think that any ex facing the possibility of having to pay SS would include your current living arrangement and possible marriage. A marriage that would increase your family standard of living and may affect the bottom line calculations for "need". Most if not all SS orders are based on the paying person’s ability to pay and the receiving person’s need, among other things but these are the big ones the courts consider.

Comment

I would hold off on the engagement because it may affect your maintenance (also known as alimony). If you have children then CS could also be affected too. If the relationship is that solid, it won't make a difference to wear a ring just now...you and your fiancee will still be together when your divorce is finalized. I am especially wary of you getting engaged because of how your ex is "dragging out" your divorce.

Comment

Originally posted by Oncebitten1 View Post
        I would hold off on the engagement because it may affect your maintenance (also known as alimony). If you have children then CS could also be affected too. If the relationship is that solid, it won't make a difference to wear a ring just now...you and your fiancee will still be together when your divorce is finalized. I am especially wary of you getting engaged because of how your ex is "dragging out" your divorce.
        What???

Oh - Em - Gee

I best not wear them suspenders yer got me dear, I may have to pay Alice more of that dere alimony thingy-majig

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X