Child Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child Support

What is the best way to pay child support? Pay other parent directly? Have FRO garnish wages? Pay FRO through the bank like a bill? Or is there a better way at paying CS?
    Thanks

It depends on the relationship between the parents. I pay by automated transfer from my bank account - it goes from my account to my ex's (at the same bank) on the first day of every month. I set up my ex as a payee in the "pay bills" screen, and have a record of every transaction. Some people also use email transfer if their ex doesn't have an account at the same bank - it also provides a record that the money was sent, although I'm not sure it can be automated to go out the first day of every month.

In general, it's preferable to just pay the other parent directly (as long as you have some form of confirmation that the payment was received), but if there are concerns or problems, that's what FRO is for. If there are issues with the payor being late or incomplete in his/her payments, or if the payee claims to not have received the money, FRO (or MEP, or whatever it's called in your province) may be the way to go. They also provide a guarantee that the transaction took place. Either the payor or the payeee can register with FRO/MEP and request that CS payments be made that way.

Garnishment is an extreme measure, only undertaken if the payor has consistently failed to meet his/her obligations.

Comment

@OP....best way, you wire it electronically every month. That way there is a trail, and when time comes to end payment, you simply just stop as opposed to going back to court and trying to get an updated order to stop FRO.

It's not uncommon for payees to keep mum on what the kids are doing after 18, in order to keep collecting. Any overpayment is hard to claw back.

Comment

My partner pays FRO at the bank (hes old school and likes seeing the tellers) like a bill. He had paid by cheque and photocopied them all etc. problem though was that if he cancelled a cheque, the ex could still go to one of those cheque cashing places and get it cashed and he would still be on the hook for it. FRO isnt bad.

Comment

If you pay CS by cheque or transfer every month, within a few days of the 1st of the month each month, can the receiver after years of doing it this way just go to FRO and ask that payment be made using FRO instead of directly from the payor? Would FRO tell them to get lost, be happy they are getting support on time and in the correct amount or would FRO open a file and ask the payor to start paying directly to FRO. Assume there is a signed agreement/court order saying to pay by cheque/transfer and can file with FRO if not recieved within 30 days.

Comment

Either party can register their agreement with FRO at any time, no reason required.

Comment

The ex may have issues with getting the cheque "within a few days" of the first depending on when their bills are due.

FRO would take on anyone. They don't assess whether to take on another recipient or not. Its a bunch of civil servants justifying their jobs.

Comment

A bunch of civil servants justifying their jobs? I expect you would feel differently if you were a recipient not receiving your support payments.

Comment

Child Support

Originally posted by nfc4ever View Post
                  The ex may have issues with getting the cheque "within a few days" of the first depending on when their bills are due.

FRO would take on anyone. They don't assess whether to take on another recipient or not. Its a bunch of civil servants justifying their jobs.

FRO serves a purpose. As a former child requiring support pre-FRO, I can safely say it serves a benefit for those that can be hunted down for garnishment. Its also beneficial for ex spouses who cant work together. Dont knock it too hard.

My partners agreement states they wont file unless the payor is in default for 15 days. Ex had the post dated cheques, she didnt agree with the amount and filed. I think FRO holds back the payments though for a period of time after the payment is made.

FRO is only bad for people who dont want to pay support (in my opinion). If youre willing and able to pay your cs, it doesnt matter how you pay it. Sure there is a delay for those who have cs ending for some reason but that happens for anything. If you know cs is supposed to end, work with your worker beforehand to stay on top of it.
                  Last edited by rockscan; 04-29-2015, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Can you imagine the delays, bureaucratic red tape and costs that would result if FRO did "assess" every recipient who comes to them? It's much more efficient to say "if you've got an order, we'll work with you, whoever you are".

Comment

I've had to deal with the flip side of FRO bungling. My parents split in the early days of the FRO. My father voluntarily enrolled with the FRO, and paid religiously on time (he showed me bank statements). My mother didn't receive payment from FRO for over six months.

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
                        Either party can register their agreement with FRO at any time, no reason required.
                        So if I am a perfect payor on time every month and update support annually by line 150 my ex can still file thru FRO and there is nothing I can do about it and have to pay FRO instead of her?

Kind of sounds like a waste of a government funded service when it is not needed.

Comment

FRO will get in touch with you to inform that they have received an order. The thing is, your ex will be on a delay due to this of receiving the next payment. Why on earth will anyone disrupt a regular payment?

Also, by going through FRO to now collect, they are just there to collect, not enforce change of tax returns.

Originally posted by Canadaguy View Post
                          So if I am a perfect payor on time every month and update support annually by line 150 my ex can still file thru FRO and there is nothing I can do about it and have to pay FRO instead of her?

Kind of sounds like a waste of a government funded service when it is not needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Canadaguy View Post

Stop seeing FRO as a bad thing. It serves a purpose that may benefit you. You pay them. The onus is now on your ex to provide information and work with YOU to update. No more fighting or paying for things without proper documents. Personally I see FRO as more of a hassle to the recipient than the payor.

Comment

I've had to deal with the flip side of FRO bungling. My parents split in the early days of the FRO. My father voluntarily enrolled with the FRO, and paid religiously on time (he showed me bank statements). My mother didn't receive payment from FRO for over six months.

There may have been other issues that caused this. Tracking down the recipient, getting registered, filling out documents etc. plus they were probably working out the kinks in their system. Theres good and bad to everything. Heck look at all the issues with CRA over benefits and claims!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X