Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Job - do I need to put separated spouse as a dependent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Job - do I need to put separated spouse as a dependent?

I'm switching jobs soon and want to know the ramifications about not including my separated spouse as a dependent on the health and dental benefits.

I know that once we legally divorce she's off, but until then, do I have to include her?

Basically she is making my life hell, and this is the small way I can get back at her. She also refuses to look for a job that would provide benefits, and is happy working at her service sector job where she gets nothing.

Would I have to compensate her for getting a similar plan if she isn't on it?

I would check the plan at your new employer for eligibility. Some plans don’t apply if the person doesn’t share an address. You might have the problem solved for you.

Comment

"do I have to include her?"

No. You can read the plan to see if it would even be permitted to include her, but you are not obligated to provide her with workplace benefits unless you have signed an agreement or have a court order mandating it.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X