This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paralegals?

I know paralegals are not allowed to present in family court, but does anyone know if they are allowed to prepare paperwork, provide advice or help you put your case together?

They are a viable option for us who cant afford a lawyer, but want to make sure we get it all right. Anyone?

Paralegals can appear in some courts, but not family court in Ontario. They can draft documents, negotiate in mediation and so on.

The official practice limitations for paralegals are contained in this Upper Canada Law Society link:

Paralegal Frequently Asked Questions

Comment

thanks for the link Kenny

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny View Post
        Paralegals can appear in some courts, but not family court in Ontario. They can draft documents, negotiate in mediation and so on.

The official practice limitations for paralegals are contained in this Upper Canada Law Society link:

Paralegal Frequently Asked Questions
        It is a shame that the court system in Ontario doesn't allow paralegals to represent on motion and at conferences at a minimum as these are driven by paperwork anyways.

Trials are different but, motions and conferences are just really paperwork. The oral arguments are limited. Long motion hearings are rare and only in high-conflict cases generally.

It is a shame.

Good Luck!
        Tayken

Comment

I am a paralegal (well, technically a law clerk, but I would be deemed a paralegal if I wasn't working under the umbrella of a law firm)....and I wouldn't use one for things of this importance.

You want to incorporate or fight a traffic ticket fine. But fighting for your kids is too important to leave to chance. I had a whole semister of family law in school (sarcasm)....yeah, not enough training. And unless the paralegal has years of experience working firms and then went on their own, the training offered isn't the same as articling and working as an associate...

Comment

good point Hammerdad

Comment

Originally posted by HammerDad View Post
              I am a paralegal (well, technically a law clerk, but I would be deemed a paralegal if I wasn't working under the umbrella of a law firm)....and I wouldn't use one for things of this importance.

You want to incorporate or fight a traffic ticket fine. But fighting for your kids is too important to leave to chance. I had a whole semister of family law in school (sarcasm)....yeah, not enough training. And unless the paralegal has years of experience working firms and then went on their own, the training offered isn't the same as articling and working as an associate...
              I tend to disagree as the vast majority of Family Law "solicitors" cross multiple areas of law. Many are not specialized in Family Law really. They cross into real estate, criminal and other areas of law. A good paralegal who target focuses on just Family Law could be more deadly than a solicitor who is a generalist.

The argument more is about vertical knowledge than horizontal knowledge of law. WorkingDad is an example of how a strong vertical knowledge is more important in Family Law.

As for issues with kids... The Law isn't what matters. You are better having a solicitor with psychological background and who has training specifically in the vertical knowledge of family situations. A paralegal could do the same in my opinion.

Some of the most knowledgeable people I see in the court room are self represented litigants in Family Law because they are laser focused on their knowledge.

Good Luck!
              Takeyn

Comment

Originally posted by HammerDad View Post

Also, just to toot your horn for you HammerDad. You are a prime example of a paralegal I wouldn't have an issue with representing someone on motion or at a conference. Your knowledge of Family Law in my opinion goes far beyond what the vast majority of "solicitors" know. Especially in issues that relate to children.

Good Luck!
                Tayken

Comment

unfortunately I found this in my search yesterday

FAMILY MATTERS
                  1. Who should you consult if you are separating or getting a divorce?

LAWYER. You need to consult a lawyer for all issues relating to family law, so that you are fully aware of your rights and obligations. A lawyer will guide you through the process and prepare all the necessary documents, such as separation agreements and those relating to contested or uncontested divorces.
                    Your lawyer will work with you on issues of child custody, access matters, as well as spousal and child support, and the division and equalization of property.
                    Paralegals are not permitted to give advice about family matters or represent anyone in Family Court.
                  Straight from the website of the Law Society itself FAQs -- The Right Legal Professional

I was also interested in the answer because I have been contemplating changing careers and paralegal was the frontrunner. Not so much now. I was hoping that they would be allowed to give advice and complete forms, even if they arent allowed to represent in court

Comment

Originally posted by billiechic View Post
                    unfortunately I found this in my search yesterday

FAMILY MATTERS
                    1. Who should you consult if you are separating or getting a divorce?

LAWYER. You need to consult a lawyer for all issues relating to family law, so that you are fully aware of your rights and obligations. A lawyer will guide you through the process and prepare all the necessary documents, such as separation agreements and those relating to contested or uncontested divorces.
                      Your lawyer will work with you on issues of child custody, access matters, as well as spousal and child support, and the division and equalization of property.
                      Paralegals are not permitted to give advice about family matters or represent anyone in Family Court.

Straight from the website of the Law Society itself FAQs -- The Right Legal Professional

I was also interested in the answer because I have been contemplating changing careers and paralegal was the frontrunner. Not so much now. I was hoping that they would be allowed to give advice and complete forms, even if they arent allowed to represent in court
                    What I find funny about all this is that anyone can go take mediation training and become a mediator. They don't need any legal background.

Good Luck!
                    Tayken

Comment

Are paralegals allowed "...to prepare paperwork, provide advice or help you put your case together?" in family law? No. Paralegals are not permitted to do any of those things in family law. Before 2007 they could, but now they need to be licensed by the Law Society of Upper Canada.

Comment

I agree with Tayken... a 2-4 day mediation course will allow you to become involved in Family matters, but paralegals can't...

If someone is allowed to self-represent and prepare all the paper work themselves... why can't they seek help from a paralegal that has more background in family law?

Comment

paralegals ARE licensed:
                          Paralegal Education Program Accreditation

In January 2004, the Attorney General of Ontario asked the Law Society to expand its public interest mandate to include paralegals. As part of its mandate the Law Society will be accrediting paralegal education programs in Ontario, approved by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities. These programs are required to include, at a minimum, certain fundamental courses that cover the essential elements of procedural and substantive practice as well as ethical and responsible practice.
                          Graduates of accredited paralegal education programs will be eligible to apply to write the Paralegal Licensing Examination that, in addition to other requirements, must be completed to qualify for a licence to practise as a paralegal in Ontario.
                          All paralegal applicants who apply for a paralegal licence with the Law Society after June 30, 2010 must have graduated from an accredited legal services program

Comment

Originally posted by Berner_Faith View Post
                            I agree with Tayken... a 2-4 day mediation course will allow you to become involved in Family matters, but paralegals can't...

If someone is allowed to self-represent and prepare all the paper work themselves... why can't they seek help from a paralegal that has more background in family law?
                            Both excellent points. It is rather interesting to see how loose mediation is because it is non-binding. That is generally why it the requirements are so low.

Good Luck!
                            Tayken

Comment

Originally posted by Berner_Faith View Post

Because we/paralegals aren't crazy enough to take on the liability/insurance issues of family law. And Lawpro/lsuc isn't crazy enough to give us ultimate coverage. Wise choice on both parts, when dealing with crazy/angry participants.
                              Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X