Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Old 08-24-2021, 11:47 AM

jrw is on a distinguished road
Default Common Law Separation Agreement Drafting Recommendations

Has anyone used a law firms that offers a package/flat fee for drafting a separation agreement?

My ex and I were common law (Ontario) and we have verbally come to an agreement on what to do with separating our properties (principal home and rental property that we purchased together).

I talked to several lawyer and they want $2000 retainer up front to draft the agreement. However, I am afraid that because they are not able to tell me the limit of what the process will cost or the average cost that they would use up the retainer quickly and I would need to pay more.

I have come across one flat rate separation agreement for $1400.

Any recommendations if I should go with these flat fee package or go with a lawyer that ask for a retainer up front?
Any recommendations for specific lawyer?
Old 08-24-2021, 03:27 PM

Kinso is an unknown quantity at this point

Flat fee is dangerous for this as it's not possible to know how much negotiation will be needed. I'd be weary of flat fee.
Old 08-25-2021, 04:00 PM

standing on the sidelines is on a distinguished road

as long as you and your ex agree then you can keep costs down.
Old 08-25-2021, 08:15 PM

Kinso is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
as long as you and your ex agree then you can keep costs down.
100% true. Drafting is the easy part... it's the negotiation that eats up hours.
Old 08-26-2021, 09:20 AM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinso View Post
100% true. Drafting is the easy part... it's the negotiation that eats up hours.
Because both parties will require independent legal advice and if they apply the template wrong it will take a lot of unwinding to get done by legal counsel especially if one party is getting the short end of the stick.

I agree. Flat fee is really = marketing guck to get you in the door of the law firm.