Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Old 06-20-2021, 02:33 AM

trueblue22 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Renovations in matrimonial home

My ex plans to go to court to force me out of the matrimonial home so he can do upgrades to it to extract maximum value out of it (and to force me out) when he sells. Since he has already told me he's going to fight me in court for the post separation increase of the value of the matrimonial home I don't want him to renovate it. I would rather it sell in its current condition so he gets less money. I suspect he might try to move back in when I'm out since the house is in his name. Is there any way I can stop this?
Old 06-20-2021, 07:32 AM

rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough

No there isnt. And fighting him will make you lose more money. If you are ordered out or he buys you out then you cant win.

The only thing you can do is fight to have it sold and if he has the legal ground to stop that from happening, you are out of luck.
Old 06-20-2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockscan View Post
No there isn�t. And fighting him will make you lose more money. If you are ordered out or he buys you out then you can�t win.

The only thing you can do is fight to have it sold and if he has the legal ground to stop that from happening, you are out of luck.
Why would he be allowed to buy me out? He can't force me to sell to him. He needs to compete on the open market as far as I understand.
Old 06-20-2021, 12:39 PM

StillPaying can only hope to improve

You are a squatter. You have limited rights until you are forced out.

The house will be appraised as of the valuation date and you'll receive half the equity at that time. You're owed a specific amount which has nothing to do with what the house sells for now. It's not your property and you have no say over any renovations or sale price.
Old 06-20-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillPaying View Post
You are a squatter. You have limited rights until you are forced out.

The house will be appraised as of the valuation date and you'll receive half the equity at that time. You're owed a specific amount which has nothing to do with what the house sells for now. It's not your property and you have no say over any renovations or sale price.
Why would I be considered a squatter? I contributed about 10% of the total down payment of this home while my ex husband contributed 90%.. It's still the matrimonial home. By letting me stay here my ex by default recognized my right to the ownership of the property.
Old 06-20-2021, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue22 View Post
Why would I be considered a squatter? I contributed about 10% of the total down payment of this home while my ex husband contributed 90%.. It's still the matrimonial home. By letting me stay here my ex by default recognized my right to the ownership of the property.

No he didnt. He was putting his case together and probably hoped you would get your shit together. Four years later and you still think he owes you.

10% is nothing and his name is on the title. Now you are trying to fight a losing battle. He owns the home. If you cant buy him out then you arent in a position to demand anything. Plus if it is ordered sold, he could have someone else he knows buy it with his money. Or he could simply have you ordered out. Which is probably what he will do.

So much for best interest of the children. This argument demonstrates FULLY that you are only out for yourself and screwing your ex.
Old 06-21-2021, 01:19 AM

Quote:
No he didn�t. He was putting his case together and probably hoped you would get your shit together. Four years later and you still think he owes you.

10% is nothing and his name is on the title. Now you are trying to fight a losing battle. He owns the home. If you can�t buy him out then you aren�t in a position to demand anything. Plus if it is ordered sold, he could have someone else he knows buy it with his money. Or he could simply have you ordered out. Which is probably what he will do.

So much for �best interest of the children�. This argument demonstrates FULLY that you are only out for yourself and screwing your ex.
I just want him to be fair to me. It's not fair if I need to live and rent a 1 bedroom condo while he gets to live in a 3 million dollar house. The kids will have drastic different standard of living during each of our parenting time.
Old 06-21-2021, 07:15 AM

Quote:
I just want him to be fair to me. It's not fair if I need to live and rent a 1 bedroom condo while he gets to live in a 3 million dollar house. The kids will have drastic different standard of living during each of our parenting time.

Why does he have to be fair? Hes been fair the last four years and you have used him. He worked hard and built his career. You quit your job and started your own business and paid your boyfriend a salary. Your ex is not responsible for your stupid decisions.

Make him a reasonable offer and end this ridiculous battle that is all about your jealousy over what he has!
Old 06-21-2021, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Why does he have to be fair? Hes been fair the last four years and you have used him. He worked hard and built his career. You quit your job and started your own business and paid your boyfriend a salary. Your ex is not responsible for your stupid decisions.

Make him a reasonable offer and end this ridiculous battle that is all about your jealousy over what he has!
I am an entrepreneur at heart. Now that restrictions have been loosened my business should be making money soon. The business grants and loans helped keep me afloat and to pay myself and my bf a salary.

We used to have a good high end standard of living. It's only fair maintains that standard so my kids and I are not living paycheque to paycheque. I need 20 to 25k a month and I'll settle. He is offering me 5k with 50% section 7 expenses split 50/50. The kids section 7 expenses are close to 200k a year. I would be in a deficit and go bankrupt.
Old 06-21-2021, 01:25 PM

Brampton33 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It's not fair if I need to live and rent a 1 bedroom condo while he gets to live in a 3 million dollar house.
He makes an insane amount of money, you do not. Your relationship with a man who makes $500k per year (if not more) has ended, and you now have a relationship with someone who does not make even close to that amount of money.

Questions for you TrueBlue:
1- What would happen if you won LottoMax tomorrow?
2- What would happen if your business was suddenly thriving and making $5,000,000 annually?
3- What would happen if you left your new boyfriend for a billionaire?

If any of those would happen, you would be singing a different tune. The issue with you is that you keep comparing yourself to your ex. Stop it. His reality is different than yours. He will have a nice house regardless of what you want or think. The fact that you have to rent is not unheard of. LOTS of people who separate and divorce go from owning a home to renting a home. TONS of people who separate or divorce go bankrupt even. You will need to learn to cope with your new situation. You keep pointing at your ex while refusing to look in the mirror. You may wish to speak to a therapist on adapting to your new life reality.

FYI- most people on this forum focus on their kids and not what they feel they should be owed or what they are losing/lost financially. You have your kids half the time. Be happy!