Entertaining food ideas - Salmon Roll with Candied Ginger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entertaining food ideas - Salmon Roll with Candied Ginger

Several years ago people on the forum contributed some very good recipes.

This one I came across which called for 'candied ginger.' I have used candied ginger frequently over the years in sushi rolls but it is sometimes hard to find. To my surprise, I found a package at "Winners" in their checkout line.

Smoked-Salmon Roll with Candied Ginger

1 oz candied Australian (?) ginger
    4 oz cream cheese, softened (1/2 cup) or 1/2 of the package
    2 oz unsalted butter, softened (salted is just fine) - 1/4 cup
    1 oz toasted pistachio nuts, pules in a food processor (who cares)
    chopped fresh chives
    3/4 of a pound (one of those frozen packages) thinly-sliced salmon.

Combine all ingredients [U]except[U][smoked salmon and chives. Duh. You put this mixture in a pastry bag or, if like, me thin it out with a tablespoon of cream and put in a little dish.... spreading consistency. Take the salmon slices (thawed by now right?) and place them overlapping on your cutting board. Then you carefully spread the cream cheese spread over top. Then you simply roll it up and refrigerate the roll overnight (or minimum a few hours). Next day you slice.

Magnificent.

(I double up on the ginger because I LOVE ginger.)
    Last edited by arabian; 12-02-2018, 12:27 AM.

I LOVE a good Curry and rarely do take out. I found this recipe on Epicurious and its a Family Favourite (truth be known, my Mom does most of my cooking). I like it because you don't need to go and buy a ton of spices to make it.

CHICKEN CURRY WITH CASHEWS

INGREDIENTS
    1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
    2 medium onions, finely chopped (2 cups)
    2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
    1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
    3 tablespoons curry powder
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne
    1 (3 1/2- to 4-pound) chicken, cut into 10 serving pieces
    1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    3/4 cup cashews (1/4 pound)
    3/4 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
    Accompaniment: cooked basmati or jasmine rice
    Garnish: chopped fresh cilantro
    PREPARATION
    Heat butter in a 5- to 6-quart wide heavy pot over moderately low heat until foam subsides, then cook onions, garlic, and ginger, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add curry powder, salt, cumin, and cayenne and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add chicken and cook, stirring to coat, 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, including juice, and cilantro and bring to a simmer, then cover and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through, about 40 minutes. (If making ahead, see cooks' note, below.)
    Just before serving:
    Pulse cashews in a food processor or electric coffee/spice grinder until very finely ground, then add to curry along with yogurt and simmer gently, uncovered, stirring, until sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes.
    Cooks' note:
    Curry, without yogurt and cashews, can be made 5 days ahead and cooled completely, uncovered, then chilled, covered. Reheat over low heat before stirring in yogurt and ground cashews.

Comment

This is for the parents with picky toddlers who need to get veggies in- and in my case you have some severe allergies.

This one is dairy, egg, nuts, and mustard free.

2 medium Yukon gold potatoes
      1 lb ground pork- I don’t bother with lean as my little one is already on skinny side
      1/2 head broccoli- cut into florets
      2 cloves garlic minced
      1/2 onion finely diced (leeks are even better in this recipe. but simplicity is the name of the game)
      1/4 tsp chopped Thai Birdseye chilli pepper (or 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes)
      1 tsp nutritional yeast (you can leave this out- BUT it adds a nice subtle cheesey taste and loads of vitamins and minerals)
      2 tablespoons of some type of fat or oil- I love using duck fat that you can buy easily from the supermarket, but olive oil works
      Salt and pepper to taste

When ready to Fry
      Crushed Saltine Crackers
      Oil or fat of choice (duck fat or high quality lard for me)

Peel, cube, and boil potatoes in salted water till easy to mash.

Steam broccoli until easy to mash.

Mash potatoes. Mash broccoli (separate from potatoes- I like to used a mini food processor). Mix the mashes together. Let cool.

Fry garlic, onions and pepper over medium high heat in hot duck fat, for 5-7 minutes. Make sure garlic doesn’t burn.

Add to the mash mixture. Add nutritional yeast. Mash some more. Add raw ground pork. Mix really well by hand. Add about 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp ground black pepper.

Take a small ball and microwave for 20 seconds. Taste the cooked patty for seasoning. I like to add a tsp of soy sauce too.

Grab a tablespoon and portion out into slightly flattened patties. I freeze these on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and store in freezer bags.

When you’re ready to eat. Defrost and roll in crushed saltine crackers. Fry for 10 minutes turning frequently. Be gentle because there aren’t any eggs to hold it together.

These taste great with a salad for mom or dad. And fruit on the side for little ones.

Other variations we love are - white sweet potatoes + roasted cauliflower and garlic + ground chicken thighs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
        Several years ago people on the forum contributed some very good recipes.

This one I came across which called for 'candied ginger.' I have used candied ginger frequently over the years in sushi rolls but it is sometimes hard to find. To my surprise, I found a package at "Winners" in their checkout line.

Smoked-Salmon Roll with Candied Ginger

1 oz candied Australian (?) ginger
        4 oz cream cheese, softened (1/2 cup) or 1/2 of the package
        2 oz unsalted butter, softened (salted is just fine) - 1/4 cup
        1 oz toasted pistachio nuts, pules in a food processor (who cares)
        chopped fresh chives
        3/4 of a pound (one of those frozen packages) thinly-sliced salmon.

Combine all ingredients [U]except[U][smoked salmon and chives. Duh. You put this mixture in a pastry bag or, if like, me thin it out with a tablespoon of cream and put in a little dish.... spreading consistency. Take the salmon slices (thawed by now right?) and place them overlapping on your cutting board. Then you carefully spread the cream cheese spread over top. Then you simply roll it up and refrigerate the roll overnight (or minimum a few hours). Next day you slice.

Magnificent.

(I double up on the ginger because I LOVE ginger.)

Are these an app or do you serve them on something? My little one is allergic to dairy, and salmon though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X