Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:50 PM

maxwellsmart is on a distinguished road
Default Table Amount while Child in University

Child 18 . Lives in residence away from both parents city. Non custodial parent pays one half of tuition , residence, meal plan and general allowance. Child may live with custodial parent during summer while univ is not in session. Custodial parent's home is clear (no mortgage )

Given that food accommodation and incidentals during academic year are specifically paid, can people comment on general approach to table amount in the above circumstances? Thank you
Old 01-02-2015, 04:51 PM

Addendum - also pay one half of textbook and supplies
Old 01-02-2015, 05:32 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough

Rule of thumb is 1/3 to child and 2/3 split proportionate to income (whatever s7 % is). Cs is for four months while at home.

However, every case is different and a judge could rule differently. Do a search on this forum for post secondary or cs while in university and you'll find a bunch of stuff.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:33 PM

Serene is on a distinguished road

Maxwell - why is the non custodial parent paying this much? By his/her own will or via an order? I ask because I assume the precedent has been set if it's by his own accord.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:46 PM

blinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the rough

I haven't seen it anywhere that CS is for four months only when child lives at home, this is impractical as the recipient parent is maintaining a home/room for the child year round, it's not like the space goes away when the kid is away.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:54 PM

Straittohell is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkandimgone View Post
I haven't seen it anywhere that CS is for four months only when child lives at home, this is impractical as the recipient parent is maintaining a home/room for the child year round, it's not like the space goes away when the kid is away.
I've seen it pop up in a number of posts.

There is no black/white answer for this when asking whether CS should still go to the parent if the child is living away, because although you are correct in stating that they still have to maintain the room, a lot of the consumable costs like food and utilities go away.

In an ideal world, all parties would collaborate and create an adjusted amount that reflects the need to maintain the primary residence, but also ensures that some of the money goes directly to the child that is now paying for various consumables.

It's the second day of a New Year. Can I be naive for at least a little while?
Old 01-02-2015, 06:14 PM

Non custodial parent not requiring child to work in summer so that child can secure non paying research work to enhance CV for post undergrad application to professional school. Parents have equal income so agreed to pay half of univ expenses.

Custodial parent would likely go to court if one third table while at univ and full when not is not
Old 01-02-2015, 06:18 PM

Sorry .... If above not agreed to. Likely results in a windfall to non custodial parent, however court is uncertain and lawyers cost. Therefore non custodial parent probs will suck it up buttercup
Old 01-02-2015, 06:33 PM

Correction windfall to custodial parent.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:46 AM

rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough

Im confused who youre asking on behalf of? NCP or CP? If its a serious question about costs and they cant agree then it might be in best interest to get the courts decision. NCP doesnt want kid working but is questioning all these extra costs? CP has to pay half of total? They make the same income?

I ask because my partners SA says that CS will change when children are away AND the ex makes three times his income. As his lawyer said "you are not responsible for her inability to live within her means". But for other CPs, they may be struggling financially which is why CS is either maintained or reduced but not ceased.

If the parents are able to agree on cost splitting they should be able to work out the rest or they should really get a judge or mediator to help. Half of residence costs is big bucks that normally works out to more than monthly CS. That doesnt say winfall to me, it could be considered childs portion of costs.