Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 12:44 PM

representingself is on a distinguished road
Exclamation For the Sake of the Children - Marathon of Hope

Now this is a person, who is actually doing something to call attention to the unjust family law system in this country and he needs our support!!!

Please take a moment to look at his website and sign the petition, (and maybe even run by his side when he is in your area!!)

On June 1st, 2010, Dave Nash will attempt to break the Guinness World Record for the Fastest Crossing of Canada on Foot (Male).

He is attempting to break the World Record for the Fastest Crossing of Canada on Foot to help get your support as a Canadian Citizen, for an Equal Shared Parenting Private Members Bill, Bill C-422, that was introduced before Parliament on June 16th, 2009, by MP, Maurice Vellacott of Saskatoon.

"I am running across Canada in protest of the current system, and in protest of the Canadian Governments refusal to do the right thing, and reform the Divorce Act for the sake of our children".

He is currently in SK... and running at this very moment.... Check out his website, petition, FB page....

Old 06-30-2010, 08:28 PM

susiecanoe is on a distinguished road

I admire what he is doing, but I will never support a guaranteed imposing of equal shared parenting. I believe children do require equal access to both parents, but shared parenting only works if the couple can communicate and agree, otherwise, it is quagmire of more conflict the children get caught in the middle of. No laws or court orders can enforce that parents cooperate, so when you have high conflict cases where one parent uses the shared parenting arrangement to sabotage the other parent, the kids end up getting hurt far more then they would if one parent had the primary care and control. That one parent could be a mother or a father, but whoever it is they must be totally committed to ensuring the best interests of the children are maintained, that the children have access to both parents and that no sabotaging of the other parent be tolerated or condoned. Sorry, you won't get my vote for an imposed equal shared parenting until there are some safeguards in place to protect children from hostile aggressive parenting tactics often used in such parenting agreements. Been there, done that, my kids are paying a high price for it.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:46 PM

LostFather is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by representingself View Post
Now this is a person, who is actually doing something to call attention to the unjust family law system in this country and he needs our support!!!

Please take a moment to look at his website and sign the petition, (and maybe even run by his side when he is in your area!!)

On June 1st, 2010, Dave Nash will attempt to break the Guinness World Record for the Fastest Crossing of Canada on Foot (Male).

He is attempting to break the World Record for the Fastest Crossing of Canada on Foot to help get your support as a Canadian Citizen, for an Equal Shared Parenting Private Members Bill, Bill C-422, that was introduced before Parliament on June 16th, 2009, by MP, Maurice Vellacott of Saskatoon.

"I am running across Canada in protest of the current system, and in protest of the Canadian Governments refusal to do the right thing, and reform the Divorce Act for the sake of our children".

He is currently in SK... and running at this very moment.... Check out his website, petition, FB page....

I've sent many emails and signed the petitions, we need to find other ways that we can help and not let Dave fight this battle on his own.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susiecanoe View Post
I admire what he is doing, but I will never support a guaranteed imposing of equal shared parenting. I believe children do require equal access to both parents, but shared parenting only works if the couple can communicate and agree, otherwise, it is quagmire of more conflict the children get caught in the middle of. No laws or court orders can enforce that parents cooperate, so when you have high conflict cases where one parent uses the shared parenting arrangement to sabotage the other parent, the kids end up getting hurt far more then they would if one parent had the primary care and control. That one parent could be a mother or a father, but whoever it is they must be totally committed to ensuring the best interests of the children are maintained, that the children have access to both parents and that no sabotaging of the other parent be tolerated or condoned. Sorry, you won't get my vote for an imposed equal shared parenting until there are some safeguards in place to protect children from hostile aggressive parenting tactics often used in such parenting agreements. Been there, done that, my kids are paying a high price for it.

But that is the whole problem and a tactic of parents that want sole custody! Make it as impossible as they can to work with the other parent, and then whine to the court that the parents can't get along so joint custody won't work.. And I hate to say it but if the shoe fits, it's usually mothers, and it's a tactic of gaining sole custody period!
Old 06-30-2010, 10:13 PM

blinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostFather View Post
And I hate to say it but if the shoe fits....
I suppose that all depends on how big your mouth is. Open mouth, insert foot.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:27 PM

What is that supposed to mean? Open mouth, insert foot? I am entitled to my opinion. In fact I pushed for shared parenting only to have it backfire when I could not even get my ex to agree to counselling for my kids. This forum is an avenue to express our own thoughts and our own experiences.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:30 PM

And, I never said I thought sole custody was the answer. I did however state that there must be something that ensures the parents will cooperate in the best interests of the children. Be careful what you imply without all of the facts. This is not about mothers versus fathers, it is about what is best for the children. If shared parenting means that one parent can withhold agreement out of spite, tell me how that serves the children?
Old 06-30-2010, 10:34 PM

baldclub is on a distinguished road
Default I did

It is very important for me, this means a lot. I never, ever thought my ex would pull some of the stuff to get sole custody as she is doing now. I know parenting is a dual responsibility and I want to keep being the great father I have been, within a fair system where the priority are the kids.

What Dave Nash is doing is amazing. For the first time for me, I sent a petition link to everyone I knew.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:11 PM

blinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by susiecanoe View Post
What is that supposed to mean? Open mouth, insert foot? I am entitled to my opinion. In fact I pushed for shared parenting only to have it backfire when I could not even get my ex to agree to counselling for my kids. This forum is an avenue to express our own thoughts and our own experiences.
You're 'entitled' to whatever you want, express away. The person whose post I quoted did, as did I in my response. I don't require the 'facts' of your particular situation to respond to another poster. Thanks, though.

Last edited by blinkandimgone; 06-30-2010 at 11:14 PM. Reason: the voices told me to...
Old 06-30-2010, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkandimgone View Post
I suppose that all depends on how big your mouth is. Open mouth, insert foot.
Ummm, I don't think so, it's no secret, it's fathers (vast majority) that do not have custody or equal access, and it's no secrete either and a commonly used tactic if it can be shown that the parents can't get along, even if its one person, then custody goes to mom. Show me wrong, and I'd be happy to admit it, otherwise, I'll call it how I see it, and lived it.
Closed Thread