This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full-time student?

My step daughter will be turning 18 and graduating hs this month. She has elected to go back to hs for 1st semester for a co-op work program. Does this qualify her as a full time student? I have looked everywhere and cannot find the answers I am seeking. What it boils down to is this - once she turns 18 does child support cease? What technically is a "full-time" student?
    Thanks

if she is doing the specified number of hours each day under the program then it would be full time. If there are sections thet she will not be taking that the other students would normally then not. It would not matter that it is only one semester, when that semester is done then she would be done but for ending support will she be going to post secondary when she would be eligible to get in (September usually)?

Comment

she is talking about "taking some time off" from school and working...most likely a couple of years and even then it's still up in the air as to whether or not she'd go back

Comment

Gennerally she would not be able to take a break for a couple of yeats and then go back. The Family law act and the courts state that it would have to be contintuous. They would allow for a normal summer break kind of thing. You could file a motion to vary to terminate based on that she has turned 18. Having said that what are her intentions... does she want to earn a little money to help out? In your motion, or better make an agreement to resume support when she is in post secondary. Your intent you want an education for your child but the courts do not allow support to continue on indefinately. At least that is not the way it is supposed to be. Just wanted to say you do have grounds to terminate. So the act says it must be continuous and a maximum of 4 years.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X