Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 04:39 AM

mariam2008 is on a distinguished road
Default getting divorced outside of canada

hi
I and my ex-husband have been living in Canada as permanent residents for about 6 months. We got divorced in our home country just before coming to Canada. during these 6 months we've shared a house together, now I'm going to marry someone else. what are the legal issues for me?
Old 08-26-2008, 07:09 AM

FL_Needs_To_Change has a spectacular aura aboutFL_Needs_To_Change has a spectacular aura about

I think that, as long as there were no outstanding issues in your previous country then there is nothing to worry about for you getting on with your life in Canada.
It appears that you have found someone new and wish to move on; I do not think that your having resided with your ex should bare any legal ramifications.
Given that the duration of co-habitation was brief,& it was not in the married sense, 6 months does not constitute CL, so there should be now worry about any possibility of him requesting any SS.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:17 AM

mariam2008 is on a distinguished road

Thank u dear "FL_Needs_To_Change"
Is the divorce under my home country laws acceptable by Canadian law? or we have too get divorced under Canadian law too?
Old 08-26-2008, 11:52 AM

FL_Needs_To_Change has a spectacular aura aboutFL_Needs_To_Change has a spectacular aura about

The divorce is recognized in Canada, similar to getting married in another country, as long as the proper process was taken it is recognized.
Closed Thread