X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie with questions

Hello All,

I am new to this forum, but I am very impressed with your combined knowledge and would like to ask for some opinions on my situation. In October of 2010, I left my ex after 25 years of living common-law, he was the primary income earner as I had given up a partnership in my business to stay home. I did have a 2 day a week part time job so I did contribute some to the family coffers. At the time we both had agreed to a 50/50 split of all of our assets (contents and the value of our home listed in both of our names). Throughout the months, he has continually made demands for a greater proportion of the proceeds of the sale of our home, as well as keeping the better portion of our shared contents of the home. He went so far as tossing some of my personal items in the trash. He also had his union cut off my group insurance so I have no medical coverage at the present time. At the time of separation I had even agreed to not ask for support or any of his pensions. The proverbial straw is now he wants me to contribute to paying a lien that was placed on our home after our split for a legal aid certificate that he required as a result of a criminal matter that happened after I left the relationship. While it is not a great deal of money, I feel that he is taking advantage me in my desire to settle the separation. I do not want to use a lawyer to go to court as the cost outweighs the benefits, but I have been in contact with a lawyer that can coach me thought the process as I self represent in court…… I have three questions that I would like your thoughts on. What are my chances of getting the courts to award me spousal support and funds from his future pensions as well a full 50/50 on the home and contents. Do you think it is a good idea to pay a lawyer for coaching me through the court proceedings , or is it possible to do this on my own without any help from the legal profession. As a sideline, I am presently living in England, so court appointments in Canada might get a bit dicey so I would hope that some things can be handled through teleconferences, is this correct? Thank you and have a great day.

Question 1) your chances are 100%

2) Yes do spend $500.00( approx. 2 hours) for an experienced lawyers opinion. Otherwise try and use this forum and self represent (lawyers will greatly extend the time required for you to get resolve and leave you penniless)

3) Use Skype and Fed Ex to get 90% of stuff done

Comment

Yes, you have a right to what you are asking for you can teleconference a lawyers opinion, or hiring a lawyer may be a good idea considering your distance, it'll cost you that much to fly here and deal with all this.

Comment

Thank you very much for your replies, I really needed to hear that. You two have taken a load off my mind and I will post more questions as time goes by I am sure. I am very happy that I was lucky to find this group at a much needed time. All the best to you

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X