X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about child support

Hello all,

Say that the father has around 80% custody of two kids but there is no written agreement, and the mother has not paid a penny in child support for over 3 years, while earning 45k+ / year....

Does this mean that when we do eventually go to court, that she will owe for all that time that she didn't pay?

I am concerned that since there is no written agreement, we won't be able to receive retro pay for all of the months we cared for the children.

Mind you, I will be thrilled just to begin receiving payments.

And I presume that her wages will be garnished, since there is no way she will willingly pay anything.

Yes she owes retro, going back to date of separation (assuming you had full custody since then.) My ex tried to squirm out of it but full retro would be ordered by the courts.

Don't be fooled by case law citing instances where full retro wasn't ordered, this is just in instances where it is a variance from an existing order, and the incomes changed. In such a case they may only go back so far. But for regular CS orders, it goes back to separation.

Otherwise all a deadbeat would have to do is delay delay delay and get out of paying support. This would be a mockery.

Comment

Tasty. Thanks!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X