Section 7 Transportation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Section 7 Transportation

Section 7 expenses always confused me, hopefully someone can set me straight.

I need to get S4 from school at noon and get him to his ABA therapy (autism) then get him back to school for daycare 2 days a week.

If I hire someone to transport him, wait there and return him to school, is this considered at Section 7 expense? The therapy itself is covered by Government funding.

Also does ex has to agree to the therapy (I'm doing it regardless, because S4 is really struggling in Kindergarten)?

I have asked the ex via email and got no response. I was hoping he could get S4 there one day or ask a family member to help and I could do the same on the other day, but it fell on deaf ears.

I'm going back and forth with it, but I'm leaning towards not a s7 expense. Although medical and needed, I don't think it's special or an extraordinary amount. Full table CS would normally cover this, plus I'm assuming you're receiving other benefits which could be argued would cover the extra transportation. It would be like picking up your child twice a week and taking them to lunch. If it cost a large amount then might be.

Comment

It could go either way, but I’d consider it extraordinary. Getting someone who can handle an autistic four year old, with a car, isn’t going to be cheap. Let’s say you pay them $20 an hour, two hours a day, twice a week. That’s $320 a month. I’m middle income, and I’d have to juggle money to make that happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Stillpaying, I would even question its a medical expense. This therapy is focused particular for this child with social and verbal skills. Both my ex and I want to keep him in the main stream educational system and without this, I feel he will end up in the alternative system, like our oldest child S8. I do disagree its like taking them out to lunch, I dont see the comparison.

I thought it was worth a shot to try, this will be S4 second round of therapy, the wait lists are long for Government Funded Therapy. He does do speech therapy in another program, on my nights. He is really struggling with the transition from full-time daycare to the Kindergarten routines and expectations, with 3 months into the school year he is digressing.

I do receive full table child support of $839.00 per month. Mom22girls, the cost for a babysitter would be $24 an hour for 4 hours X twice a week, so $192 a week, transportation via TTC is covered as a caregiver by TTC, child is free. Yes, I do receive other funding both children receive CDB and I do receive Respite Care money. The respite funds are all accounted for, I use them to enable the children to enjoy activities and outings in their community and programs not covered by funding and to give my Mom a break from babysitting. Trust me, I am not getting my nails done

I know I am going to sound really snarky here and a terrible parent, but sometimes I dont blame my ex for walking away. There are many days I feel, wouldn't it be nice to enjoy the children EOW and 2 nights a month, pay the child support and have a LIFE!!! In my experience they love you just the same.

That turned into a vent, thanks for listening

Comment

There has to be a consult with dad and dad has to agree to that therapy if it's a joint custody situation.

Who Will be driving children and why during the school lunch?
          Last edited by tunnelight; 12-07-2018, 01:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tunnelight View Post
            There has to be a consult with dad and dad has to agree to that therapy if it's a joint custody situation.

Who Will be driving children and why during the school lunch?
            Custody hasn't been decided yet, so we have default Joint.

I did send Dad a detailed email, he is familiar with the program, it went unanswered. Its likely a caregiver wouldn't have a vehicle and then there is the cost of parking. It would make sense to take public transit. Public transit is Free for caregivers.

The therapy starts at 1:00 pm so the child would be picked up from school during their lunch hour. Then brought back to school to attend daycare until I finish work.

Comment

It sounds like a great program, and I understand your feelings; it's not easy. I guess your main issue is not about transportation, which is free, but hiring someone to take your son to his therapy.

How was it done before? Who's doing it now? Who would be taking him to school and picking him up afterwards and why can't they do it all? Could it be done at home or during times you're available?

It's still a tough call, but you may have more of a chance approaching it as a caregiver fee rather than transportation.

Comment

Thanks for your kind words Stillpaying, yes, its getting him there that is my problem. The caregiver would actually be waiting for him during the program and not participating in the program. It is required that a caregiver is close by though, often "accidents" happen and the program is not allowed to assist in the toileting area, (I know sounds crazy).

The program is in a classroom setting with other children with the same needs. The next session begins first week in January, so I'm working on a solution now. The caregiver would have to spend some time with the child beforehand as it would cause the child distress to go with a "stranger". Hence my original idea of having family members take him and split the days with ex's family.

I did it myself previously as I wasnt working a full-time job, and had flexible hours. Before that I was a stay at home Mom, so I could take both children to all appointments/therapy. I recently landed a fantastic job that I can pursue as a career (these kids wont be kids forever, and I have a retirement to think about), I am very cautious being a new hire that I cant be asking for this amount of time off.

I take S4 to daycare at 7:30 am which is at his school everyday except 2 days a month that my ex does it, and normally pick him up between 5-6 pm. I do have another S8, my Mom covers his daycare.

I think my ex will argue, its on my time, my problem. And so far he hasn't consented to it, but as I said before, I am going to do it regardless of him consenting.

Comment

Its a required daycare expense which is therefore section 7. You gave him the opportunity to assist and he refused.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
                    You gave him the opportunity to assist and he refused.
                    More like she sent him an email about this program that the child has to miss school to attend, and he hasn't provided his view yet.
                    Last edited by tunnelight; 12-08-2018, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kate331 View Post
                      I think my ex will argue, its on my time, my problem. And so far he hasn't consented to it, but as I said before, I am going to do it regardless of him consenting.
                      That's not very good co-parenting. I think your ex will rather argue that you made the decision unilaterally and just expect him to pay.
                      Last edited by tunnelight; 12-08-2018, 07:23 PM.

Comment

More like she sent him an email about this program that the child has to miss school to attend, and he hasn't provided his view yet.
                        Yes, thats exactly it! I sent him an email 2 weeks ago after he failed to attend a school conference to discuss a plan too try and keep child in the classroom. As you can imagine its difficult to make decisions, when you only hear my take on the situation instead of attending the meetings in person.

Alternatively, as the school has suggested a half day program may be more suitable for the child. Maybe he could stay home with the child instead???
                        Last edited by kate331; 12-08-2018, 09:09 PM.

Comment

That's not very good co-parenting. I think your ex will rather argue that you made the decision unilaterally and just expect him to pay.
                          He can argue that to a Judge. I'm done with the co-parenting! He's welcome anytime to take the kids full-time, so I can be an EOW parent and I will gladly pay cs and Section 7. Or alternately I'd take a 50/50 split in a heartbeat.

Quite frankly I could use the break!

Comment

He can argue that to a Judge. I'm done with the co-parenting! He's welcome anytime to take the kids full-time, so I can be an EOW parent and I will gladly pay cs and Section 7. Or alternately I'd take a 50/50 split in a heartbeat.

Quite frankly I could use the break!
                            I hear you but 50.50 is easier said than done without cooperation.

Comment

Alternatively, as the school has suggested a half day program may be more suitable for the child. Maybe he could stay home with the child instead???
                              Again, you can't throw him under the bus like that and expect him to pay. The only thing that will do is create more conflict.

Maybe the two of you could look into a school with on site therapy?

Maybe you can work part time instead of full time ?

Maybe you can ask your lawyer to follow up with his and see what their position is?

Maybe grandma can help?
                              Last edited by tunnelight; 12-09-2018, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X