Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

separation agreement done - what's easiest divorce steps?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• separation agreement done - what's easiest divorce steps?

I've been searching for help on this but keep getting confused. Separation agreement (with spousal/child support decided on and all assets split) signed Dec 5th, 2010. We don't have a problem stating we were living in same house but 'separate and apart' for more than a year (separate bedrooms, no meals together etc.)

We're both in agreement on filing for divorce but we want the easiest way. I can't figure out if 'uncontested' or 'joint' is better. We want nothing to change from our separation agreement. We weren't a rush to file but just read in paper new rules about going through 'an information program' starting in April (f**k that).

Would those sites that charge $249 to create the paperwork be worthwhile?

Thanks,

Dan

Easiest

The easiest way is to do joint divorce if you are both in agreement only because you don't have to serve the other person. That can cost up to $300. In Ontario a divorce costs $447 plus another $19 for the divorce certificate. It is $167 to file an application and another $280 when you file the rest of the papers in about a month and a half. It only takes about 3 months or so to get divorced. I just filed for divorce a few weeks ago.

Attorney general site has a package on steps of divorce filings.

HERES THE LINK: http://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.o..._part_2_en.pdf

Comment

And those sites online some require a $1500 fee upfront before they start it and you may have to pay the fees yourself anyway. I also tried to do it that way but it would have cost me $3000. Did it myself with no lawyer.

Comment

I used on of the online companies to fill out all the paperwork and it cost me $250 and they gave me email support and full instruction of how to file an uncontested divorce. They were very thourough and I would recommend them www.candivorce.ca I filed in August and the Divorce was final in October. Which ever route you take I wish you luck!

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Anyone know if I get this process started, would I avoid having to go through the govt's mandatory 'information' program they're introducing in April?

Also, I just checked out the govt website address listed above, and I saw it reference if there's support you have to file past notice of assessments and financial statements. Is that required if we already have a separation agreement outlining everything?

Thanks,

Dan

Comment

Hi DanTess,
            I am the child support payee and when I filed for the uncontested divorce all I had to do was give them copy of the separation agreement, Unless things have changed a lot in the past 2 yrs this should be an easy in and out process. Unless you have any type of application against the agreement.................then its a different story.

If you get to the court house before the end of next week you can file your 2nd set of paperwork before April and you could be divorce by May...............Good Luck

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X