Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I be ordered to pay Spousal Support Again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I be ordered to pay Spousal Support Again?

I separated from my ex in June 2018 and she filed for a divorce in her home country in Europe where we got married. It was processed August 2018 and I thought that our divorce is done. I come to find out that Canada does not recognize the divorce as neither of us lived in Europe for a year prior to the divorce being finalized. This came to light as she is trying to sponsor her husband which she filed for marriage in her home country.

I paid her spousal support for from June 2018 to June 2019 as she was remarried and I had a court order that spousal support will stop.

Now that it's come to light that we are not actually divorced in Canada, can she come back for more spousal support?

Has there been a judicial decision that your foreign divorce is not recognised in Canada? Canadian courts recognise a foreign divorce where there is a "real and substantial connection" between the parties and the jurisdiction granting the divorce. So if she grew up in the country, is a citizen of the country, and got married in the country, that would likely be a real and substantial connection to the country. If that is the case, then the divorce may well be recognised in Canada, regardless of residency.
    Ottawa Divorce

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
      Has there been a judicial decision that your foreign divorce is not recognised in Canada? Canadian courts recognise a foreign divorce where there is a "real and substantial connection" between the parties and the jurisdiction granting the divorce. So if she grew up in the country, is a citizen of the country, and got married in the country, that would likely be a real and substantial connection to the country. If that is the case, then the divorce may well be recognised in Canada, regardless of residency.

I don't know as her lawyer sent and letter stating this and that we need to file for a divorce in Canada. She has residency there but has not lived there for over 10 years.

Comment

It does not matter that she has not lived there for over 10 years. That is only one ground on which a foreign divorce is recognised in Canada. There are other grounds, including her having a real and substantial connection to the jurisdiction.
        Ottawa Divorce

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X