Summary Judgement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summary Judgement

We had a case conference today (self represented) and the Judge moved forward with a Motion for a Summary Judgement much to our surprise this is the case law he cited Hryniak v.Mauldin. This was a huge shock, We went into court armed with the Federal Child Support Guidelines to back us up. The issue was that the Mother was requesting retro payment for S.7 expenses for the past 5 years. She never requested payment, never provided receipts, never got permission for the special expenses and extracirricular. SA stated expenses to be shared 50/50. CCTB is not applied to any of thoses expenses nor is the 20% she receives on from claiming daycare. None of those are applied to the cost of the expenses. Mother has custody, Father has every other weekend and holidays etc...from the talk today, this appears to be coming into effect and is waiting to pass its final stages to become legislation. We have no choice now but to hire a lawyer if we are going to proceed with this....augh! so frustrating - so much time wasted!

"we" - who is "we" - please clarify.

Comment

We are my husband (Respondent) and me the spouse. I did the leg work, paperwork and research

Comment

Whoa - we really need to know more about your partner's situation, if this CC judge has decided the argument is not worthy of wasting time at trial.

From a quick glance at your 3 past posts, we all know that daycare is a s7 expense, correct?
        Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

I thought this was straight forward too. Daycare is s.7 expenses. Tax credit and cctb not applied to reduce the daycare. She never told him were his daughter was going to daycare and did not provide receipts, statements or accounts for daycare. ever. Until he received the letter from her lawyer requesting $16,000 in daycare payments since 2010. This letter was received in 2014. His daughter does horseback riding that his EX enrolled the daughter in in 2012 with no discussion. Again no receipts, no statements. She literally has not provided any paperwork to him since they separated in 2010. Thats basically all the info that is being dealt with but she wants $15,000 we have figured it out to about $4,500. Dad is refusing to pay for horseback riding because he enrolled her in gymnastics. So because of the horseback riding and $15,000 she wants is moved forward with a Motion for a summary judgement. Thats the situation...

Comment

Her lawyer even said they may wait until this legislation comes into effect before they move the motion on summary judgment forward. This was the rule the judge was quoting Rules 20.04(2.1)Rules of Civil Procedures which they are waiting for to be "passed" This is way over my head so "passed" may not be the right word. They were also citing another Case Law the judge was directing her lawyer to look up Afolabi vs Fala

Comment

Very interesting stuff, judges are going to basically throw out cases pretty quickly nowadays.....

In Quebec, failure to consult often disentitles the parent to payment for s7 expenses

The retroactivity for child support is normally limited to 3 years or something unless she can prove she was unable to act.....

Comment

Did the other party motion for summary judgment or did the judge start the action?

Either way, this is exciting news. It suggests a way out of the common strategy of one party dragging heels and pushing up costs in the hope that the party who have taken a reasonable position, will walk away from it, and the interests of the children.

Comment

Originally posted by somethingelse View Post
                  Did the other party motion for summary judgment or did the judge start the action?

Either way, this is exciting news. It suggests a way out of the common strategy of one party dragging heels and pushing up costs in the hope that the party who have taken a reasonable position, will walk away from it, and the interests of the children.
                  I dont think it will be that broadly used it will just be used for cases like this. Money owing type situations no custody situation will be ruled on this basis unless it is to dismiss on the basis that there was no change in circumstances.

Comment

The moving party requested the motion for summary judgement. Not good news for someone who is self representing. I would never attempt proceeding with this without a lawyer. Once we receive the paperwork from the courts, we will consult and go from there. I'm thinking trying to settle is probably most cost effective way at this point...

Comment

courtismylife

This is the most interesting thing I have read from a case conference. I was wondering if you could let me know if the moving party articulated this in their case conference brief that was served to you. If so was it under the #18 -Request for procedural orders?

Would you considering letting me know via PM or here what province this occurred in?

I am off to case conference next week responding to another motion to change. I have spent in excess of 10 years in the family court system, been through trial, so many motions that I can no longer count all initiated by my EX. I would love to be able to avoid trial again. BTW - I have self rep'd the whole way. You can do it and be successful as long as you are reasonable which looks like you are.

Thanks for any help you can provide

Reality

Comment

I am curious about summary judgement.

What constitutes a genuine legal issue?

In my case I am the respondent. The applicant started by filing a whole series of allegations but none of which really even if they were to be proven true reflect poorly on my ability to coparent.

For example- one is a claim of verbal abuse but it is an alleged one time incident one year prior to separation...it simply can't be argued as a pattern of abuse which verbal would have to be. All her other allegations don't weigh in any fashion on custody even if they were true.

OCL has conducted a full 7 month review. Found no issues with me and considers the mom lacking in credibility. The other side did not challenge the report.

Since then this has quickly become about financial matters but even those are fairly cut and dry.

I am considering filing for a summary judgement. I have extended an offer and the other side is (I feel) afraid of going to trial but just blustering and just dragging this through.

But I am really confused on what issues are decided on rule of law and which issues require a trial...very confusing, when is a trial necessary?

Comment

I can't tell you all the issues that require trial but I can share one. I had a long motion for summary judgement...got through about 3 minutes of my opening and was told by the judge that it appeared there were credability issues. It was suggested that the motion be moved to trial. I was told that if I progressed with the motion and a decision could not be made due to credability...I would have to pay costs. A bit of a bummer since it was opposing party that asked for the motion in the first place!!! Lots of wasted money in preparing for the motion as I had to enlist a lawyer to assist with factum and BOA.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                          Working...
                          X