Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refused Written confirmation from School Board

Hello all.

I am a Custodial parent, I am being refused a written confirmation from the school stating that there was no assessment done on our child.

The reason I ask for this is because the ex stated that there was an assessment and the child is fine. But at the same time, the teachers are expressing a different opinion.( i have an email stating this from the teacher).

Something is not right with this and I don't know what to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by OntarioDaddyMan View Post
    Hello all.

I am a Custodial parent, I am being refused a written confirmation from the school stating that there was no assessment done on our child.

The reason I ask for this is because the ex stated that there was an assessment and the child is fine. But at the same time, the teachers are expressing a different opinion.( i have an email stating this from the teacher).

Something is not right with this and I don't know what to do?

First Contact - Teacher
    Second Contact - Principal
    Third Contact - Trustee

Have you provided your separation agreement.

Also you could get your lawyer to send a "strong letter"

Comment

I learned many, many years ago when my son was young that I had the right to go into the school and see my son's academic record. So I did that. Lo and behold in his file were teacher's remarks which had nothing whatsoever to do with our son's education.

I'd strongly suggest you inspect your child's school record as it goes with him from school to school (at least it does in Alberta).

Don't give them advance warning that you are coming in. Just show up. You can also ask to photograph the file.

Comment

No lawyer. Fighting the battle solo and with much assistance from members from this forum whom I might add has been more helpful then they may know.

Looking for the trustee now, completing a freedom of information request.

Comment

No lawyer. Fighting the battle solo and with much assistance from members from this forum whom I might add has been more helpful then they may know.

A Freedom of Information request won't get you anywhere.

Do you have a separation agreement yet?

Walk into the school and ask for the file.

Comment

Yup. Separation agreement states Joint Custody.

My concern is that they will railroad me again. The ex bitches and complains and or made false allegations against me to convince the school what she believes is the law pertaining to our agreement.

This has happened before. I was directed to the ex for any information which of course she ignores.

Comment

Don't bother with freedom of information request as that will take months. Walk into school office with hard copy of separation agreement, ask to see your child's file, use smartphone to photograph contents. Leave a copy of the separation agreement in the file. If you get any pushback from office staff, contact trustee and principal (at the same time - principals don't like to look bad in front of school board).

Comment

The principle is the one who refuses to provide written confirmation.

The teachers say something else and so does the ex.

Comment

Don't let them know you're coming.

Nice to catch them off guard before they have time to purge the file LOL

We didn't have cell phones with cameras back then but I do remember going into the photocopy room copying things and also simply removing some things I didn't think should be in an academic file (I was left unsupervised).

Comment

Honestly, last thing I want to do is to jeopardize my attempt to get more time with our child.

Comment

You have to realize many of these teachers are very young and don't have much "life experience" under their belts. They make all sorts of silly remarks in kids files all the time without regard to the impact their little notes may have. When your child starts his/her next year, one of the first things the new teacher does is read the child's academic file.

Comment

Actually it is a Access to Information request. And no, it will not take months. Furthermore, until such time as you complete and submit an official request you can not appeal it, nor is there a body/agency overseeing it, nor does the clock start ticking for them to respond. The Access to Information request is the official way to proceed.

Comment

I will add - the Access to Info request can involve more than the official student record as well (if you word it properly).

Note: on your original post you indicated "the board" is refusing you info... the board did not - the person you spoke to did.

Comment

The principle is the one who refuses to provide written confirmation.

Not that I'm defending the principal, but s/he may be in a difficult position a since it sounds like you're asking him/her for a letter stating something /hasn't/ happened; that is, to confirm a non-event. If I understand right, you're asking for a letter saying no assessment has been done on the child. Principals may be leery of stating that something hasn't happened because a) what if it happens tomorrow? and b) what if it happened and they just weren't aware of it? They could end up looking stupid. It's much easier to write a letter confirming a confirm a positive - "such and such an event happened on such and such a date" - because it's easier to prove something has happened than to prove it hasn't.

Why do you need proof that no assessment was done (besides wanting to show that your ex is wrong)? If you have concerns about the child, can you just request that a school psychologist assess the child? If your ex says that's unnecessary because the assessment has been done and everything is fine, let her produce the report.

In any case, if you are a legal guardian of your child, you should be able to walk into the school and look through his/her file at any time. You don't need permission.

Comment

...Separation agreement states Joint Custody.

My concern is that they will railroad me again. The ex bitches and complains and or made false allegations against me to convince the school what she believes is the law pertaining to our agreement...

This has happened before. I was directed to the ex for any information which of course she ignores...
                              Does the school have a copy of your legal separation agreement yet? I was not clear on that. They should file a copy of it, in your child's school record.

False allegations?

...The principle is the one who refuses to provide written confirmation.

Is the principle refusing, because they do not have a copy of your separation agreement? Or are you saying they realize you have joint custody as detailed in your agreement, but still don't want to provide you info? If it were me, and the school had copy of separation agreement that stated joint custody, and still would not share my child's info with me ("you'll have to speak to Mom about that"), I would be going above the principle's head, for sure.

But is that the case here? Have you setup a meeting with the teacher and principle together?

It's frustrating to run into these issues.
                              I ran into the same with my child's school, but solved it when I provided them a copy of the separation agreement/court order. Joint custody is pretty clear.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X