This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time Limits

Can anyone tell me what the time limits are in terms of making a claim for a settlement? My ex seems to be avoiding a formal settlement. In order to get the divorce certificate, my ex agreed to put aside the financial settlement till later on condition that I'd sign an undertaking to continue to pay a particular sum of money in the interim so that she "wouldn't be disadvantaged by agreeing to sign the divorce papers in advance of a financial settlement." That was in the summer of 2006. Now the summer of 2007 is past us and I keep bugging her to go see her lawyer to discuss a proposal that we've been ironing out for over a year now. She always has an excuse for not following through.

Can someone indicate what will happen if "nothing" happens ... i.e. is there a particular time frame that she has to make a claim for spousal support by or else she looses the opportunity to do so? Conversely, is there some time frame that once its gone past, I'm just automatically stuck with the interim settlement? Could that be why she's stalling? The interim settlement is largely in her favor, and yet she claims that she needs more. If that's true, I'd be surprised is she's purposely stalling, since I don't think she's happy with what she has. But I'm cautious about the time frame, so I thought I'd better ask about it. I'd hate for something to become automatic just because some magic date slips by.
Our Divorce Forums
Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
Working...
X