Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Custody of a dog (yes u read right, a dog)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, so many responses, thank you to everyone for your help.

To answer your questions, this is not a pure bred. They spent less than $200. He paid in full for the dog and she reimbursed him the entire amount when they broke up. She paid cash and has no way to prove the payment was made.

I know if she must she would pay him, again, just to keep the dog, however, that is not what he wants. He wants joint custody of the dog.....this way he can maintain control of her.

I know this seems so silly to many with children (I can picture many of you rolling your eyes as you read this......and I completly understand). But, to those who don't have children many ppl think of their pets as their kids. This guy is crazy and she would obviously let him have the dog if she must to get him out of her life but this pet means so much to her.

Thank you for the advice on the canlii search!! I found it helpful. This is a case for small claims court. I brought the problem to this site as I knew there were so many knowledgeable ppl and I found it so helpful during my own family court drama.

Thank you again for all of your help!!!! I appreciate all of the responses

Comment

Dog Custody Battle For 'Knuckles' Costs Craig Dershowitz Over $60,000

Along similar lines.

Comment

Originally posted by LCB View Post
        I know if she must she would pay him, again, just to keep the dog, however, that is not what he wants. He wants joint custody of the dog.....this way he can maintain control of her.
        I don't think that he should be trusted with joint custody of the dog. From another standpoint, one could say that better the dog than if they had a child together.

Comment

while figuring out what to do keep in mind the average life span of a dog is what 15 yrs at best?

Comment

but that is just it, the dog or cat - how do you price it??? You really can't. My sorry nobody wanted her, kind of funny looking - is worth more than any one of those fancy $5,000 pure breeds - to me. It kills me that I can't have her now with me, she is being cared for by my daughter who brings her for day visits when she can..... One day I will get her back with me.

Comment

She has possession of the dog.
              the dog is a possession and therefore whomever has it, owns it until proven otherwise.
              there is no "custody" issue here, that applies to children, not pets.,

a few questions:
              Did they have a separation agreement?
              Did he take the rest of his possessions with him?
              How long after the separation did he start making a stink about the dog?

If he took the rest of his stuff, and left the dog behind, then by his own actions (and the taking of the $200 cash) he gave her the dog. Think of it as a tv. You dont leave a tv with someone else, and then come back a year later and say "hey, thats my tv!".

I am sure that she has spent ay least another $200 in that year feeding and caring for the dog, and if he wants the dog back, he should be compensating her for all of that. Tell him to take his $200 and get himself a new dog of his own. This guy is a real gem and she doesnt want to share "custody" with him!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X