This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Settlement Conference - Lawyer Required

Am I required to retain a lawyer for a settlement conference? Ex is represented by LAO and I have been informed that a settlement conference date is scheduled for early March. What other options do I have other than attending settlement? Spousal is the issue at hand - no kids involved. Married less than 5 years and have been apart for almost 5 years and divorced for 1. Thanks....

You're never required to have a lawyer, even at trial.

Short term marriage and apart for five years would suggest that duration would not be long (less than five years) and the need is questionable.

Comment

TODivorce,

You can represent yourself. The respective form is available online.

http://www.ontariocourtforms.on.ca/english/family

If a date for a settlement conference is set; I would attend same. A settlement conference is a free kick at a can and to test your stance. Usually no significant orders would be issued. However, if your lacking disclosure on anything or any procedural issues to deal with now is your chance.

The Judge may give its view or a recommendation of how the case will result.

lv

Comment

Thanks - is it safe to assume that a settlement conference is a suit/tie affair? Silly question but definitely don't want to attend 'over dressed'. Thanks....

Comment

First impressions are everything. You want you best foot forward so wear a suit and tie.

lv

Comment

Get a Lawyer, they are worth their weight in gold

Oh yeah,
            Settlement conference? Been there, done it, twice over even;
            Because the ex renegged on his original deal with me;
            It is entirely your choice, if your case is strong enough, however, I highly recommend a lawyer for anything with divorce, custody, the like, even with no children.
            Your lawyer will guide you on the signing of the conference as well as witness it, it surely does not hurt.
            Good luck to you.
            Sandygrl

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X