Trial scheduled - can't afford lawyer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kinso View Post
    With all due respect to rockscan I don't agree with the 'review CanLII for success rates" idea. Mainly because failure or success at trial is far more dependent on the facts than the lawyer.
    Somewhat agree that for most lawyers there isn't enough depth to anything posted to CanLII usually. But, with the right eye (and AI engine) you can pull a lot of interesting stats on lawyers. (I do this for fun!)

Some lawyers take hard cases to court, they lose but they go down with a fight because that was what the client insisted upon.
    Often known as "negative advocate lawyer". They will support their client's position no matter what or how bad it is.

William Eddy on the subject: https://www.highconflictinstitute.co...vocates-or-not

Other lawyers only take 'easy' cases to trial, they have high success rates but they're cherry picking.
    I would counter this with these lawyers know how to pick reasonable clients and know when to fish or cut bait. Very good lawyers will pick and choose their clients wisely. This is because they have a reputation they maintain with judges that they never bring clients forward who are "nuts".

I can name a few 700$ an hour lawyers in Toronto who when they walk into the court room the judge already knows that they don't represent "high conflict and troublesome clients" because they refuse to work with these high-conflict people. But, it takes years in practice to be able to pick and choose clients like this and establish that reputation.

Judges know who are the lawyers that will take on any client and will put forward any argument, no matter how awful, are...

Also, online reviews are stupid for family lawyers. Most of them (mine included) are written by opposing parties who are bitter. The ones with glowing perfect reviews are either written by the lawyers themselves, or they strongly encourage their clients to leave favorable feedback.
    I agree 100%. Online reviews are total 100% garbage.

Comment

Hi Polgara,

I had a 21-day trial and can tell you that it didn't cost anywhere close to what your current lawyer is attempting to charge. I'd find a new lawyer and fast. I'd request an adjournment and advise why. I think you'll find the judge sympathetic to "why" you need to. After going through the trial, I'd agree that it is a definite possibility to have a lawyer just prep all your paperwork/etc and then handle the proceedings yourself. I think you could also have the lawyer come in at points and speak/conduct part of the trial on your behalf as well if you so choose.

Wishing you all the best. You will get through this and come out on the other side.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X