The Magic Pill - Netflix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Magic Pill - Netflix

I recently watched this documentary on Netflix and want to "try" and incorporate this type of diet into my family life (with the blessing of children's family doctor). Even if I just get to the elimination of refined sugars I think that would be an improvement in their overall health/behaviour. Many in the Autism/ADHD world are finding dietary choices key in managing their symptoms

I am a bit worried about weekends at Dad's and their beloved McDonald runs, but I am not going to let it deter me and there is nothing I can do about it anyway. And this is my choice, not his. Also disclaimer, over the past year while I was struggling financially I was stretching my food budget with not so healthy choices as in Kraft Dinner and a ton of pasta, potatoes and rice to fill their bellies, so this maybe a hard sell for the kids on my end.

Anyone here have their children on special diets or completely different diets? Is it easy/hard with having 2 homes? Are upset tummies part of it?

Is anyone on a ketogenic type diet? Any suggestions or tips and tricks on how to do this and make it palatable for children or even yourself?

Also want to add that one of my children is underweight for his age (other is of average weight) so I wont be monitoring their quantity of food just the quality of it.

Originally posted by kate331 View Post
    I recently watched this documentary on Netflix and want to "try" and incorporate this type of diet into my family life (with the blessing of children's family doctor). Even if I just get to the elimination of refined sugars I think that would be an improvement in their overall health/behaviour. Many in the Autism/ADHD world are finding dietary choices key in managing their symptoms

I am a bit worried about weekends at Dad's and their beloved McDonald runs, but I am not going to let it deter me and there is nothing I can do about it anyway. And this is my choice, not his. Also disclaimer, over the past year while I was struggling financially I was stretching my food budget with not so healthy choices as in Kraft Dinner and a ton of pasta, potatoes and rice to fill their bellies, so this maybe a hard sell for the kids on my end.

Anyone here have their children on special diets or completely different diets? Is it easy/hard with having 2 homes? Are upset tummies part of it?

Is anyone on a ketogenic type diet? Any suggestions or tips and tricks on how to do this and make it palatable for children or even yourself?

Also want to add that one of my children is underweight for his age (other is of average weight) so I wont be monitoring their quantity of food just the quality of it.

I eat Keto. Not strict... but for the first 60 days I did. I wouldn’t put the kids on that strict diet but rather whole fresh foods. Nothing processed. You have to do it over time. They still get treats.
    I have not watched the film but heard about it. I give my children whole foods. Very little processed food. Maybe an applesauce pack in there lunch. That’s it. Dinners are all fresh food made to serve. Nothing in packages. Perhaps that’s why when they come home from dads they are off the walls. I give them not from concentrate juice and now they don’t even want it. It’s mostly water they drink. This way of eating. Cutting out all processed foods sugars, all preservatives and food colourings should help behaviours. Recommended by our paediatrician years ago as the first thing to change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks Mom2Mom, sugar is my first elimination, I wont be too strict, and try and find alternatives, especially this summer. Their love for freezies is about to be terminated I am going to make my own with watered down fruit juice.

They already drink lots of water, but I have fallen into the Juice Box trap, because its so convenient. They aren't use to soda except on McD runs, so that shouldn't be too hard.

Comment

Originally posted by kate331 View Post
        Many in the Autism/ADHD world are finding dietary choices key in managing their symptoms
        Many in the Autism/ADHD world don't know how to run a case-controlled double-blinded study.

I am a bit worried about weekends at Dad's and their beloved McDonald runs
        I'm pretty sure a McDonald run is not going to ruin the wonderful diet you are about to enact .

There are no reasonable studies that show any benefit to ketogenic diets. Cutting out refined sugars is probably a good plan. I would stick to that. Do that for a few months, then move on to better things if you are so inclined.

Nothing wrong with good quality food. I wouldn't try to impose your diet on the other household. I'm not especially fastidious, but kids certainly eat different foods with me than with their other parent. Overall, I think that's a good thing.

Healthy, not faddish. We all know healthy: Fruits, vegetables, grains, not much sugar. Anything beyond those basics is usually pure unsupported nonsense.

Comment

Thanks Janus, I think eliminating the sugar will help. I wont impose anything on the other household, but have informed them of changes here. Its more of a courtesy, as were back on speaking terms and I am trying to keep the peace and work together.

Part of our strategy with the children is trying to mirror our homes a bit more (obviously not with food, but schedules and routine). It has helped with the transitions and our new access schedule.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X