X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used Car estimate in previous years

Hello guys,

I need to find the estimate my used car in 1998 for Form 13.1. It is easier to find the current estimates, but not in previous years. Any suggestions?

Let's say your car was 5 years old in 1998, and you paid $20K for it new in 1993.

Find out the current used estimate for a 5 year old car, same make/model/options. Compare it to the current new price. If you find the used price is 60% of the new price, then you can argue that your car was worth 60% of $20K in 1998.

Or, maybe go to your public library, and check out the Used Car ads in a 1998 newspaper. You might find some comparable ads. Reduce the amount a bit, since these are ASKING prices, not actual sale prices.

Comment

Thanks its helpful, I didn't thought about library and old newspapers

Comment

Did you try autotrader.ca? I think you can get an average price from there

Comment

You need the Canadian Black Book value. Go here for a free online evaluation:

Canadian Black Book Trade-in Canadian Black Book

Which will give you the current value but then you can work back from there and come up with a reasonable amount for the value in the timeframe you are looking for.

It does ask you some questions about what you want to trade it in for but you can just put anything and it makes no difference, your results are emailed to you as well.

Comment

Is that the company that did the Black Book for decades? That calculator only goes to '97 but I'd call them (the number is there) and they would have data going back to the 50's at least.

Comment

not sure but this website gives a good overview of what and how the different books are used for:

Canadian Car Prices - Book Price Car Value - Used Car value - Blue Book - Black Book - Red Book

The OP was looking for a 98 price so he should be covered with that link for a current price anyways.

Comment

Well, he's looking for the '98 price for a '93 car, which is what totally complicates things. But that was a good find.

Comment

Oh what a dork, I must have missed that part, I just saw the '1998' reference. Oops!

Comment

I used the redbook value. Most Librarys keeps an archive of them for previous years. Now will the red books go back far enough at your local library? That is the question.
                    Last edited by Paulzinho; 06-17-2010, 10:17 AM. Reason: added more

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                    Working...
                    X