This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ark_justice View Post
    Again I cant educate myself when I don't know something exist. I pay a lawyer to do that. I can't ask my lawyer about that which I don't to ask. That is like asking someone why they didn't think of education themselves about a species they didn't know existed, even when the hired expert has failed to mention it did.
    I have been planning to ask my lawyer: "Are there any questions that I haven't asked that I should be asking?" Since reading this thread I will lend further emphasis to my question by adding: "Especially those that would benefit me financially."

Comment

Sorry,
      $900 cs
      $1600 ss
      Got it. So she is paying her cs.
      And it appears as though she has arbitrarily decided to decrease your ss.

How was your ss calculation arrived at? Difference in incomes alone does not make an entitlement for ss. What were the arguments your lawyer used to demand $1600 monthly ss?

All that said, it really has nothing to do with the fact that you have one big asset remaining to divide - the house. I think you get that you are entitled to a 50% interest, as is she. For the last 2 years, you have had the entire benefit of that asset.

You had posted in the past about differences in appraisals - have you moved a final determination of value forward at all?
      Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

Again I cant educate myself when I don't know something exist. I pay a lawyer to do that. I can't ask my lawyer about that which I don't to ask. That is like asking someone why they didn't think of education themselves about a species they didn't know existed, even when the hired expert has failed to mention it did.
        That is the right question! Ok think about it, every member here found this site with knowledge ranging from pure ignorant in facts and maybe a person has been in the business for 20 years. I like I think most new comers started with one thing in common -- Divorce, seperation, our children for those who have them - Common to us all is we are going through a life change and most know little to nothing, what to ask, how to ask, some of us have a harder time to "get it" but.....

You have found the right place to learn, only you know your circumstance - your lawyer only knows what you tell him/her so you need to remember that this is your case, your lawyer is there to help you but you can't leave your future in the hands of a person to whom you know little to nothing about (your lawyer and if you are lucky you knew all the right questions to ask a lawyer before putting down your retainer ------If you caught on with the previous phrase "if you are lucky you knew all the right questions": Luck has nothing to do with this and two; you will never know all the right questions.

The other thing that is hard for many, is the court doesn't care about the feelings you have, how you feel your ex didn't do "_____"; what they do care about is the children, best interests of same and wether you will be able to communicate with your ex to take care of your children in their new family structure. Oh, and truth has little to with the courts, only care about what can be proven and to what degree. Lawyers are said to love the feelings aspect, this is where the fees can escalate faster than you knew was possible! You are lucky if you have found one of those rare individuals that will actually watch what is worth their fees and to tell the client "Stop, you can't win this or that - so move on". What you will see here a lot is how members ran out of money, can't afford to keep the lawyer going and they must go the very difficult self rep route. (then there is nobody to fall back on but yourself so you would need to commit to what might be a full time job plus overtime to prepare......)

Comment

Originally posted by mcdreamy View Post
          I thought you said she's currently paying $1450/month in cs. Which, by the way, would include your utilities.
          Wrong.

C/S would pay her share of the CHILDREN'S utilities...not HIS utilities.

Comment

Occupational rent is something you should discuss with your lawyer.

You may wish to discuss what value your occupation of the house has had on the property. But for your occupation, the home would have been abandoned. By your continued occupancy, you ensure its upkeep and maintenance.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X